Cyprochromis And Paracyprichromis Spawn Size?

Burbot

I am wondering how many fry are some of you getting from a spawn of Para/Cyprochromis spp. ?

I am finding an average spawn of about 6 and the mortality rate is high. Anyone else out there spawning these, and what size of spawns are you getting?

Cheers,

:beer:

You are getting about average for these two types of fish. Spawns are notoriously small as the eggs and fry are so big compared to the size of the mouth and the females themselves. I did have a female utinta that would have 12 or 13 regularly but she was an exception.

I have never noticed the mortality rate as being abnormal however. What procedure are you using to get the fry from the female? At what stage of development are you losing the fry?

• 1 month later...

My paracyp nigripinnis finally spawned last week, after a week of her holding I decided to strip her to try and keep her healthy. When I stripped her there was 5 eggs one burst as I tried to strip her and one I couldn't get her to give up. The three I got from her were all white and fungused obviously not fertalized. My male must need some practise to get it right or he isn't mature yet. I have had horrible luck with these guy's started with seven lost one in transit and slowly they were dissappearing. I found most of the missing in a box of rocks under the aquarium they were in. I didn't realize they were jumpers. I have ordered them twice recently but they don't travel well for me. Ordered two adults and neither made and then ordered eight and after four days I'm left with three. The three that made it are in good shape though. Eventually I'll get a breeding group.

• 3 weeks later...