New Cfia Fish Import Regulations

RD.

I'm not sure when this was last amended, but it appears that the CFIA have some new criteria for importing "pet" fish.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/imp/petani/fispoie.shtml

This certainly limits what will soon be allowed for importation on a hobbyist level, sans an import permit.

•The pet aquatic animal must also be a member of one of the following species:

◦Barbonymus gonionotus

◦Carassius auratus

◦Colisa lalia

◦Danio rerio

◦Glossogobius giuris

◦Osphronemus goramy

◦Oxyeleotris marmorata

◦Poecilia reticulata

◦Puntius sophore

◦Symphysodon discus

◦Toxotes chatareus

◦Trichogaster pectoralis

◦Trichogaster trichopterus.

So other than barbs, goldfish, dwarf gourami, zebra danio, flat head goby, giant gourami, marble goby, guppy, pool barb, discus (Symphysodon spp.), seven spot archerfish, snakeskin gourami, and blue/gold gourami, it appears that all other fish will soon require an import permit.

The new regs also limit one pet fish importation per 90 day period.

Edited by RD.

Correct me if I'm wrong(which I am on a regular basis) but I read this to say, if the fish you're bringing back is not on the list and you have the paperwork and for personal use, you don't need a permit?? That is how I have had it explained to me in the past and my thoughts are to ensure I have a bill of sale with scientific names on it, just in case. Anybody else read it this way??

Perhaps I read it wrong, but the following seemed pretty clear to me.

An import permit will be required as of December 10, 2011, if the pet aquatic animal

•does not meet the following criteria, or

•is not a member of the following mentioned species.

and then .....

•The pet aquatic animal must also be a member of one of the following species:

Just to add to this, from the CFIA's Dec. 2010 announcement .....

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/aqua/queste.shtml

Will the pet fish or aquarium industry require import permits?

All aquatic animals in Schedule III of the Health of Animals Regulations will need an import permit as of December 10, 2011.

However, the CFIA recognizes that pet fish in home aquariums represent a low risk for the spread of diseases. An exemption from requiring an import permit has been made for approximately fifteen species of aquatic animals listed in Schedule III. This exemption only applies if they are imported as personal pets and owners meet the criteria outlined in the Health of Animals Regulations.

So beyond that very short exemption list, one will require a permit in the future.

At least that's how it reads to me.

I did a bit more digging this morning & I believe that the exemption is simply referring to the species of fish, molluscs, and crustaceans listed under Schedule III.

The entire list for Schedule III species can be found in the link below.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/C.R.C.,_c._296/FullText.html

That list is what the CFIA has determined to be their "Susceptible Species of Aquatic Animals".

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/aqua/disemala/spliste.shtml

So the new amendment has simply added approx 15 species of finfish that if imported under their "pet" guidelines, will now be exempt from requiring a health certificate, or an import permit.

To make a long story short, I believe that fishclubgirl was correct. :)