Choosing A Bn Pleco

Sierra

I THINK I would like a BN pleco but am wondering if any meet these conditions:

-stays small (20 gallon tank)

-doesn't eat plants

-appearance doesn't matter

-fry safe??

-will breed (not important/wanted but would be nice to know)

Would a pair be one too many for a 20 gallon tank? Do they care if there is just one of them?

As the title states I know nothing so help me out here to choose one!

Other option

- more ottos 2 now I was given are doing great (nice and fat) but they're always hiding and don't seem to be doing a very good job of algae that is not around their hang out

-any other suggestions that meet the above requirements? preferably not snails

Bristlenose pleco's are about the best. They stay under 4 inches, don't eat plants and will breed in aquariums. Would say they are the prefered pleco of many. They are wicked little things for devouring algae. Fry safe, well maybe, depends on the size of the pleco and the size of the fry.I keep small ones in fry tanks. HTH

I think 2 Juvie BN's would be okay to have, you might have to rehome them when they get full grown. I don't know if they would breed in something that small but hey stranger things have happened, From my understanding it takes a 1-2 years for them to reach a breeding maturity.

I know what you mean with the Otto's about a month ago when I took down my planted tank after 1.5 years I Found 2 Fat otto's that I didn't even know that were in there haha talk about suprise.

Bristlenose pleco's are about the best. They stay under 4 inches, don't eat plants and will breed in aquariums. Would say they are the prefered pleco of many. They are wicked little things for devouring algae. Fry safe, well maybe, depends on the size of the pleco and the size of the fry.I keep small ones in fry tanks. HTH

They all stay under 4 inches...??? Do either of you have a favorite breed?

**Edit: apparently most of them look the same? ahh doesn't matter I think I shall see if anyone has one or two they're parting with. So far sounds like a good choice. Any suggestions as to breeders on here? Edmonton

Edited by Sierra

Hi, go to Fairdeals sight, he has numerous Plecos that you can google and look up to see what would be best for you. Most all BN Plecos stay small and grow slow, they do an awesome job. One thing I added to my tank was 2 Yoyo Loaches, wow, they sure clean and have done a fantastic job. But they will probably outgrow your 20 gallon tank in time and have to be re-homed.

Good luck

If otto's get to the BN eggs they will eat them

I'm not looking to breed them I was just wondering because I read somewhere some do and some don't breed in captivity. (but I don't know if that's true so just wondering)

Thank you though!

Edited by Sierra