Petricola Spawned. What To Do?

punman

So excited! My S. petricola catfish spawned in a flower pot- marbles setup. I removed the marbles this morning to find probably 200 small eggs.

Now what do I do? I tried putting them in my tumbler but they fall through the holes at the bottom. So I temporarily have them in a breeder box with an air stone, floating in my ten gallon tank.

Do they need lots of agitation? How long to hatch? Advice please.

Congrats! All this fish breeding going on is awesome!!

Idk, but I think a breeder box thing will have openings that are too big and the fry will get out and subsequently eaten.

From what i've read in the past, the eggs should hatch 24hrs after laid?

Here is a decent article that covers the breeding and raising of petricola's. Hopefully you find some of it useful. I have heard on multiple occasions guys using tumblers with them. Just find a finer material they won't fall through. Like the wifes pantyhose. They need a decent amount of movement and air, and they should hatch in 24-36 hours. Congratulations!

http://www.kwas.ca/Articles/Petricola.pdf

Edited by Jayba

Thanks for the help from those who responded.

The following morning the eggs were fungused. I could not deal with them until day's end. When I came home from work all were doomed so I ended with zero fry.

Sad, but I am happy to know I had a spawn. Either none were fertile or they just needed better care.

Edited by punman