Clown Loach Advice

Bandi

So we just got 10 3 inch clown loaches only about four days ago. They went into a 180 gallon tank with lots of hiding places.

Today my husband did a water change on the tank. Now he has this thing about only adding straight cold water back into the tanks (sometime 25% of the water). This lowers the temp of the entire tank of course and so far, he claims all the fish like this. I disagree with him and won't do this... however...

But minutes after his water change I noticed a dead clown loach (that wasn't there before because I helped do the gravel vacuuming).

I said the sudden and relatively big temp. drop killed loach? The other loaches didn't look to lively either...

We keep that tank at about 80F and I bet it dropped to 70F or so ( I should have measured)

So did the cold water kill the loach or are they just new and fresh from the store and probably just a normal die off?

Any imput would be great. Because my husband and I are arguing about this and I think I am right and he think he is right. Help settle this if you can.

i would have thought the sudden temp change would have a big effect on the little guys, i know id be pretty shocked and want to die if the weather dropped by 10 in a matter of mins

but im no expert ! cool.gif

Edited by peckham125

Clown loaches are about as sensitive as it gets to temperature changes. They like it warm (80-82F) and if you change the temperature fast you are asking for trouble. Ick is a big problem with them too. It usually surfaces with big temperature swings. I'd tell the hubby to knock it off and start getting the temperature close.

Some people add cold water with their SA fish cause it's supposedly like a nice rain, but even then I say your pushing your luck if you go lower than a few degrees.

Edited by jcgd

I don't think 10 degrees fahrenheit is a huge swing in temperature. Plus adding 40 gallons of water is going to take a bit of time. Most streams and rivers will have bigger temperature ranges depending on depth and current and the fish when chased by predators into different zones will not just up and croak. But I still adjust my water temp reasonably close when doing water changes.

She said they were all ok before the water change and immediately afterwards one was dead and the rest didn't look so good. I dont see it being anything other than the shock that could have killed it.. It seems pretty obvious to me.

• 2 years later...