Small No-Tech Tank - Considerations?

heff

I have what I believe is a 5 gallon tank that's currently sitting empty that I'm considering putting shrimp in. No filter, no heater, no light (only ambient office light. I'd probably put a small piece of wood with some christmas moss, along with some gravel from my established tank to get the bacteria going. I'd probably remove the gravel so I can vacuum the bottom easier.

Do I need to worry about the water getting stagnant from no circulation? Is there anything else I need to keep in mind? I would be doing water changes once a week, which would not be an undertaking.

Thanks!

Hugh

I think it could work, but I'd add a small internal filter to be safe. I've used those cheap AquaGiant filters ($10 or less) with decent results on small tanks.

I started a 10 gallon shrimp tank that is Low/medium tech a while ago, and found that it needs circulation. No air pump and no heater, but it does have a very small HOB for circulation and about 3 watts per gallon lighting for the plants. I used the fluval shrimp substrate and they seem to love it. 10 Cherry shrimp turned into about 40+ on no time. For plants It is covered 25% with dwarf hairgrass, 25% glossostigma, and 1 small amazon sword, rest is bare. Tons of shrimp, 1 assassin snail, 1 male and 1 female endler and 2 ottos.

It is my healthiest and best looking tank, which is amazing considering how low tech and simple it is. Sorry for the run on sentences, English isnt my first language.