Converting to planted tank

Milan

Hello everybody,

I have few questions, and hope you can advise me ...

Here is what I'm into. I have a 29g FW tank with 2 platies which has cycled. There are some plastic plants which I want to replace with real ones. My substrate is about 2" of GEO-system extra fine gravel for planted tanks and a thin layer of fine gravel (3-5mm) on the top. I have also (aside) a bag of SeaChem "First Layer" pure laterite and another bag (20lb) of the mentioned Geo-System gravel. My plan is to scrape off the top gravel, mix the laterite into what's left, put another bag of Geo-system gravel and put back the top gravel which I scraped off earlier. As far as ferilization of the plants go, I am thinking of using Seachem Flourish tabs, which I would stick into the substrate.

65W 6700k light is in order, and DYI CO2 unit in making. Plants will be fast growing and easy ones, like Wisteria, Val, Rotalia Indica, ...

Am I on the right track with sustrate?

With those tabs, do I need those liquid fertilizers?

Is the selection of plants OK?

Sounds good for the substrate. The tabs should do just fine (although I am personally more a fan of liquids).

The plant choices sound good, too (you might want to consider some anacharis as well). If you can, be sure to drop by the Calgary Aquarium Society meeting this coming Tuesday evening....usually some excellent deals to be had on some great plants at the meeting mini-auction.

CAS meeting details

Thanks for invitation Toirtis. Actually I was planning on dropping by at CAS for this meeting, but something else came up. Next one for sure.

Could you please be more specific on fertilizers, as to why do you prefer liquid? I was under impression that if you stick it in substrate, close to plant's roots, less chances are that you are offering it to algaes as well. Or am I mistaken ?

Thanks for invitation Toirtis. Actually I was planning on dropping by at CAS for this meeting, but something else came up. Next one for sure.

Could you please be more specific on fertilizers, as to why do you prefer liquid? I was under impression that if you stick it in substrate, close to plant's roots, less chances are that you are offering it to algaes as well. Or am I mistaken ?

You are correct...I am just lazy and find liquid ferts easier (and easier to obtain, too). ;)

Just realise this coming meeting on the 28th will be the last meeting until the big auction in late September.

I'm sorry to hear about the meeting, but I really can't make it on 28th.

Hmmm, ... Anacharis ! Elodea densa, is it? This may be a good idea from what I read about it. It takes nutrients from the water column, not roots and it grows aggressively under moderate light conditions. This is probably a very good algae buster. A couple of these would probably starve the algaes out in no time, with a little help from Ottos. This also explains me your liquid ferts preference if you have some of these in your tank.

In my case, since the tank completed the cycle, there is a brown algaes (diatom) bloom. NO3 is not building up at all, it is rather constant @ 5 ppm, which tells me that the algaes are eating it up. I cut the lights down to 8 hrs, reduced feeding and doing frequent PWCs (20%/3days). But I think I have to act quickly with plants.

Hmmm, ... Anacharis ! Elodea densa, is it? This may be a good idea from what I read about it. It takes nutrients from the water column, not roots and it grows aggressively under moderate light conditions. This is probably a very good algae buster. A couple of these would probably starve the algaes out in no time, with a little help from Ottos. This also explains me your liquid ferts preference if you have some of these in your tank.

Actually, although I have Egreria in a few tanks, I mostly have African plants, like Anubias, Bolbitis, Nymphaea, and some Apogenton, as well as a number of crypts and some floaters, like Riccia, Najas grass, etc....no swords though, as for some reason they just don't do well for me.

The anacharis is an insane grower, and really likes to suck minerals out of the water, so be sure to keep up with your water changes to keep it happy.

The anacharis is an insane grower, and really likes to suck minerals out of the water, so be sure to keep up with your water changes to keep it happy.

OK, I think I'm sold on that one. I think I'm going to just put (not plant) it in the tank ASAP. Is there a LFS in Calgary which carries it? If not, is there someone in Calgary who can offload some of his stuff for a reasonable price?

Edited by Milan

OK, I think I'm sold on that one. I think I'm going to just put (not plant) it in the tank ASAP. Is there a LFS in Calgary which carries it? If not, is there someone in Calgary who can offload some of his stuff for a reasonable price?

Sure, I have extra.