Trout?

its all about how much you talk about it. OR get the permits, money talks doesn't it? I know for a fact that you can stock a private pond, not sure if it has to be outdoor :P

You can, but that is a different matter, and, of course, your pond must be inspected, approved, and you still need a permit to buy/transport/stock the fish (although it may now be a requirement that the trout actually be delivered).

I have been to Waterwolves.com and I guess they are a little braver with authority there. Those guys keep everything they catch! :w00t:

Heh...they don't care....90%+ of the membership on that site keep piranha, snakeheads and rays in states were they are banned, too... :lol:

Well, I can appreciate where all of these regs. have had to be put in place, as over the years, there has been way too much illegal introducing of species into bodies of water where they don't belong.

Thanks for alll the info. I have no intentions of breaking any laws, but I can understand why some would. But my luck, I would get a huge fine, and then I might as well have spent that money on a marine set-up! :drool:

Hi MA,

Getting the trout from a farm is your best bet and you likely will not have any problems getting the non indegenous species such as the rainbow, Browns or Brookies. As for the cutthroat, not likely. But who knows. The government moves in mysteriuos ways. Good luck with your adventure.

Garhan

Hi MA,

Getting the trout from a farm is your best bet and you likely will not have any problems getting the non indegenous species such as the rainbow, Browns or Brookies.

You need permits for all those now, too....and in the near future, even with permits, you will be able to buy only certified triploids (which is what the Alberta government plans using for stocking purposes in the next few years).

I had a cousin who kept some rainbows in saskethchewan, they are really neat fish, he picked up four and grew to about fourinches in a ten-15gallon(obviously not the best conditions, maybe the worst) but really neat fish - very fast and go crazy for any food put in the tank

Well, I need to make some calls I guess. I really would like to set it up with trout, I think they are really cool to look at, and water changes don't cost a thing. The whole look would go really well with the style of stand that I am going to build for the tank. But if the red tape is just too much, looks like we will be setting up a predator marine tank.

I already have all the accessories, but the livestock are going to cost a fortune :angry:

We still have the 230 gal. for our freshwater display, just have to find the room now to keep both then!

(I know I can't seem to make up my mind :boxed: -thanks for your patience, and all the help!!!)

Well, if you're sure...WHAT THE H@LL! Marine it is. We will save the trout for catching, not keeping!

Actually, it has been a though of ours for a LONG time to get another marine tank going. Just have to do it a little smarter this time. We bought WAY too much last time, even though we knew better. Funny thing is, all was fine, until we started doing quarantine etc. (that, and a good case of ick)

I still like the trout idea, just isn't shaping up to be the "smart" choice? Yeah, wait until we have to buy the marine livestock!