Unexpected Leak

GIJester

So, after a lovely 9 hours away from home at work I return home to a wet foot and a loud splashing sound of my pump having to drop water more than 1"... as I turn the corner into my main room I see my tank half empty and leaking out of somewhere along the bottom seal.

I assume it can be fixed, in fact thats my goal this saturday... but until then, I have 15 odd fishes living in a few buckets kinda under filtered (as in my pump has a few hours rotation from unit to unit.

Anybody in the greater North Calgary Area have an extra 40+ Gallon and feel like housing a few fish for a week or so while I get this thing fixed?? hopefully its only a week - I'ts going to be a busy weekend..

Thanks in Advance

(PS - 9-10Angels, a 2-3" Parrot Fish, 3 X Tetras, 1 Danio, 3 Congo Tetras, 2 YoYo Botias, 1 Cigar Fish (poor guy just got his new tank to) - but community - semi aggressive.. Danio guy seems to hold his own but I got him with others)

that sucks i have a 55gl but it is in e town and i am in fort mac, rubber made tubs will work in a pinch go to wall mart or were ever and buy the biggest one they have or 2. or even the relay big trash can would save your @$$. good luck with the water damage you might want to call and get a carpet guy to come suck up the water or drag out your steam cleaner and start sucking

awesome - gonna grab some in a bit here - great idea.

its mostly Linoleum and Tile - no carpets - luckly its on the ground floor so no seepage - neighbours shop vac saved my @$$ on that... The rubbermaids should be good - thanks again. hopefully I can find the source of the leak as it was falling from all edges of the tank...

Well - looks like I might get to take more photos of a rebuild and be able to post this time through :)

SO... good news - the tank was cleaned up and refilled - no leak can be found... fish doing ok so far - lost my roseline shark, but got em in a pretty big tub with plants, sand and one of my canisters,

starting to wonder if maybe it was one of the hoses running along the top of the tank, replaced them and I seem to be doing fine.. man what a scare when water is leaking from your tank - but my guess is that it was running along the hose then when the hose touched the tank it came across the bottom of it...

No major house damage - refilled and cycled 24 hours with some prime... gonna miss that Shark, but at least the rest are looking healthy - hoping to move em back in by later tonight (just past the 24 hour mark when the temp balances out...

Thanks for the tips on rubbermaids, I dont think they would have survived buckets

good to hear it worked out as well as it did.. good thing you werent gone for a weekend or something when it happened..

we have rubbermaids in the house for specifically that reason lol. 9 tanks running on average and none of them are new tanks haha