Assassin Snails

Vallisneria

What do Assassin snail eggs look like?

My group of assassins are breeding as I have found 2 baby snails a few millimeters big already but I have never really looked for snail eggs. I recently cleaned out their tank of all the algae covering the glass, so now i can see in their tank better. I see some small square shaped(not round, weird?) clear sacs on the glass with a small beige round center. Are these the assassin egg sacs? The only other tankmates are shrimp so its not their eggs.

Why are the sacs square? How long until they hatch? Some of the stuff I read said 3-4 weeks. Is that true?

the square are their eggs. 4 weeks may be accurate. Nothing eats them so you don't really have to worry. Your population will probably explode till there isn't any other types of snail in the tank, at which point I believe they will start to attack and eat each other. The population should then stabilize to sustainable levels based on available foods.

Edited by vince0

Your population will probably explode till there isn't any other types of snail in the tank, at which point I believe they will start to attack and eat each other. The population should then stabilize to sustainable levels based on available foods.

They ate all the snails a long time ago. For the past 6 months they have been eating NLS pellets, with the odd snail treat when I find some in my other tanks. I haven't seen them attack each other or the shrimps. None have died and I've had them almost a year. They seem quite happy eating NLS. I drop the pellets in and they all go right over to them.

Right now I see quite a few eggs, maybe a dozen. So hopefully I get a bunch of babies soon :)

Right now I have 9 adults(the ones I bought), 2 babies about .5cm, some microscopic babies, and some eggs. Hopefully I can raise up a few more babies. I'll let you know if I have some for sale down the road.

I was carefully checking out my assassin/shrimp tank today and realized that there were baby snails and eggs in the sponge covering my intake. I've probably been killing them when I clean that sponge each water change :boxed: I guess I need to be more careful.

• 3 weeks later...

Will the adults eat the baby snails? Should I be removing the eggs if I want to keep the babies? I also have some yellow shrimp in with them. Do you think they would eat the babies? I could always put the eggs into a breeder basket if I had to. Exactly how small are the newly hatched snails?

The majority of the eggs are on the intake sponge. Not sure if they are laying them there or they are getting sucked onto the sponge from the water flow. I even noticed when I was doing my water change that I was sucking up eggs. They don't seem to be as "sticky" or hard to remove as say a zebra snail egg is.