Sterilizing plants

Milan

I went to a beer/wine making store to get some wine yeast for my DIY CO2 and found stuff called "Potassium Metabisulfate", which is used for sterilizing beer/wine making equipment.

Now I'm wondering if this stuff is safe/efficient for sterilizing aquarium plants. Has anybody used it for this purpose ...? Any opinions, suggestions ...?

I have never used a chemical except for aquarium salt to steralize anything for the tanks.

I use the ole HOT water and salt mix. Usually over night and then do a clean HOT rinse, then let soak over night in clean hot water, then a final rinse and they are good to go.

I know it may be a little over doing it but never had a problem before!!

:ml:

I have never used a chemical except for aquarium salt to steralize anything for the tanks.

I use the ole HOT water and salt mix. Usually over night and then do a clean HOT rinse, then let soak over night in clean hot water, then a final rinse and they are good to go.

I know it may be a little over doing it but never had a problem before!!

:ml:

I'm talking about plants sterilization. Hot water rinse would not do any good , I guess ... I am aware that Potassium Permanganate is the stuff to use, but was just curious if I could use something else, off the shelf ...

Here's a good link:

Preparing Live Plants for Your Tank

The product I use is Jungle's Clear Water, I buy the little bottle at WalMart, it's nice and cheap, and it's just premixed liquid Pottassium Permanganate. I put my plants in a bucket, add a few squirts till the water's a nice fuschia , and let them sit for 30 minutes, After that, they're good to go :)

What are you sterilizing your plants for?...snails,hydra,snail eggs, etc...

Thanks for the reply Garhan,

I don't know ... Everything, I guess. Just as a precautionary measure against anything that can be unwillingly introduced to the tank ...

Does that 20 min soaking apply to the recommended dosage stated on the bottle? I don't have the bottle handy, but it's Jungle's "Clear Water", which is diluted PP (don't know what %-age).

No just a general rule of thumb. Personally I stopped sterilizing my plants many years ago. What I do is place them in a 10 or 20 gallon tank filled with tap water and keep them there for 1-2 weeks. While in the tank I look for Hydra, dragonfly and damselfly nymphs and snails I dont care about because they are either need for algae controll and wate break down or are fishfood for some of my fauna. All the other stuff is killed by hand or i use a 9volt battery to kill hydra.

Garhan

Speaking from experience (I have killed a large quantity of plants especially hornwort) be very carefull with the potassium permanganate dosage as you can cook your plants and if there are any fish or other living creatures you can fry their gills as potassium permanganate eats organic material.