Improving Substrate For Plants

Raven

Been reading a lot on this lately as I'd like to improve the plant growth on those that the Amecas won't destroy or that they don't bug so much. I have a liquid fertilizer that has only seemed to help algae growth in the 29G, 50 Hasn't had any yet. And I've read that there is quite a variety used, but for most i get the feeling its too late since there is already water and fish in the 50 that I'm upgrading too. So far the 50 just has sand, for plants i have a ball of java moss and i moved what's left of the Anubis in hopes the it would put on a good growth spurt before the Amecas are moved over and start picking on it again. the 29 has gravel, plagued by the dark green fuzz, to be rid of it i am going to try to boil the gravel before adding it to the sand. I hate the stuff and really want to not transfer it. I've even taken extreme pruning measures with the plants.

I'm not really sure what to do with all the information i have read. Some of it is just too complex to make sense of right now too. So could i get some help understanding it all? Hopefully in the end i have more of a forest like tank.

Thanks a lot!

Im sure I can help but ill need more info about your tank...Lets start at your light fixture since thats what starts photosynthesis..What type of fixture are you using?...ex..t5ho, pc, t8, t12?...

ummm.... so far the 50 has 1 of its 2 lights on since the other is being used to light the 10G fry tank and the 29 has it's own that will be switched over more then likely to the fry. The one of the 50 is brand new a 15 watt Aqua-glo... T8! and the 10 has *blinds eyes* an older Aqua-Glo 15 watt (no mention of T8ness)and the 29 has *blinds eyes again* an All-Glass Aquarium 17 watt Aquarium Lamp Rapid Start. *blinks* I think its about time to replace the 2 older ones, maybe.

you want to aim for at least 1 watt per gallon for healthy plant growth, so the first thing i'd look at is upgrading your lights.

T5 (High output or just plain old t5) would be best.

i'm running only 40 watts total of T8 over a standard 55 gallon, without lids, and i'm seeing decent (but not stellar) plant growth on my swords, crypts, java fern, vals, anubias, etc. all low light/easy care plants. would love to get better lights on that tank but it's just not in the budget right now.

my 20 long has a coralife 65 watt bulb on it that is 50/50 actinic (actually a saltwater light, lol). grows the swords and java ferns nicely, without causing algae at all.

i keep lights on all my tanks for about 12 hours a day.

Edited by BettaFishMommy

OK, when more gets switched over i'll get a T8 or better for the other side too then. Is their anything else i should do??

If your running really low light then just over feed your fish for nutrients...Also pick up seachem flourish comprehensive..dose as directed on the bottle once a week..change 25-50% water monthly...Your plants will grow just very slowly as long as you aim for about 1wpg of lighting with t8's or t12's...

• 2 weeks later...

If you wanna buffer your substrate for plants root tabs help too. I use seachem flourish root tabs and just cut em up into small pieces n shove em in every 2 inches or so. They're a lot harder and more well designed than other root tabs and actually dissolve slowly like they're supposed to so every if you stir up your substrate they won't cause algae blooms like other root tabs that are fully dissolved and unleash bombs of unneeded nutrients

• 3 weeks later...

The stem plants... are they they softer ones? They wouldn't last in this tank, lol. Is their a specific ratio the like? or will tabs i see in the dollar store be ok?? ( i think they're for flowers, 10-4-10 or 10-4-4 or something...)

a bit to much phosphate in 10-4-4....i wont recommend using those fert spikes but they could work...im guessing they contain urea...which is fine if you plan on never disturbing the substrate once they have been placed...a common fert spike to use is jobes fern and palm...its 16-2-6...but tough to find here...osmocote plus is the best but once again tough to find here..

your better off just getting the flourish tabs at ur fav lfs..or go dig a hole in ur back yard..make tiny balls out of dirt...stick in ur freezer over night and place them deep in ur substrate...eventually they will come back up but they work..

Edited by ubr0ke