Found New Hobby In Leduc

leduc_fish

Hi there, started fishkeeping about 4 months ago now. Have learned alot and still learning. I am in Leduc.

I have yet to figure out what I really want. Went throught the convict cichlid stage already. They are gone now. Found new homes.

I have two 55 gallon tanks, one 29 gallon, and two 10 gallon tanks.

I have 2 young oscars that I want to get a bigger tank (greater than 120 gallons) for them.

I have one beautiful Jack Dempsey.

2 common plecos and a bristlenose pleco.

Several mollies (from cycling) and a male betta.

4 apple snails

I am thinking about starting up an african cichlid tank. They are very colorful.

But I also think about just having a great colorful community tank.

I would like to turn one of my 10 gallon tanks into a shrimp tank. I need to do some homework before doing that. I am not sure what to feed shrimp. Also, can you mix different kinds of shrimp?

I think it would be nice to have a puffer maybe. Just one 8-12in one. I don`t know how I would handle feeding him though. I am just getting the hang of feeding a complete balanced diet for the oscars.

Anyway, hello to everyone and I hope to gain some valuable experience.

Wendy

Welcome to the forum!!!

i'm not that experienced with shrimpies, but i do know you shouldn't mix different species of the neocardinia (spelling?) family together. shrimp can be fed just about anything you feed your fish, and they don't need fed much. they are grazers that go about the tank all day and night, picking bits of food off everything.

Today's my B-day, and I couldn't resist. I did buy a green spotted puffer. So we will see how it goes. I would like to try my hand at raising snails. Does anyone know - can you mix (while breeding each) snails and shrimp. Or does one eat the other's young?

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum!!!

i'm not that experienced with shrimpies, but i do know you shouldn't mix different species of the neocardinia (spelling?) family together. shrimp can be fed just about anything you feed your fish, and they don't need fed much. they are grazers that go about the tank all day and night, picking bits of food off everything.

Your can mix certain species of shrimps. First of all some of them needs different water parameters, but there is another problem, they can interbreed.

Your right about neocaridina species, they should not be mixed. But you can keep cherry/yellow/blue pearl/snowball shrimps together with tigers/crystal red/golden bee shrimps. You can also keep babaulti species (rainbow and indian zebra) shrimps with any of mentioned above.

I have a short article about interbreeding here: Can these shrimps be kept together? It also has a chart with all common freshwater species.

Undemanding shrimps like neocaridina species (cherry shrimps) will eat almost everything. Vegetable-based fish food will work great. I feed my shrimps with spirulina flakes and algae pellets very often. I also give shrimps fresh or frozen organic vegetables and, of course, algae. Soft green algae is the best food!

Some fancy shrimps like sulawesi, tigers or crystal red shrimps need more care and there are some special food (like Mosura) made for them. Bacteria and beneficial minerals are in there.

It's very brief :) Shrimp keeping is very existing and there are lots of diffident aspects of it :)