Hi From Edmonton

Skook

Hi all. I got into the fish hobby about 8 years ago. I moved here last year and let all my tanks go before the move. I've been itching to get back into it and will probably buy a tank in the next few months.

I did everything wrong the first time. Bought a tank on a whim. Then listened to the people at petcetera about what I should buy to start out. Then started to read as much as I could online.

Then you know how it goes. Next thing I knew, I had tanks all over my house, including a brine shrimp hatchery.

I was looking yesterday to see if I could find a free tank, but those are hard to come by. Plus I was always leary of them in the old days. Kijiji seems to have some cheap tanks, but again I am leary as to why they are selling them.

Anyways, I look forward to checking out your guys tanks.

Have a good one.

Oh yea, I forgot to mention. My computer recently crashed and I lost all my bookmarks. Thanks to the users here and the library I have found a lot of my old reading material. :)

Also, what is the water like here, for a community tank? Also for breeding Angels?

TIA

Edmonton water is perfect for Africans, other than that I need peat in some of my south American tanks to lower hardness and ph

Edit- almost forgot welcome to AA

Edited by Sprucegruve

Welcome to AA!

If you're looking to get a free or cheap tank post in the Equipment Classifieds. I'm always seeing great deals for tanks. It's hard to resist buying them lol As long as the tank has no cracks and the seals look good, then the tank should hold water. You can always ask the person selling it to fill it with water to show it has no leaks :)

As for the breeding of Angels, I've seed adds on kijiji and posts on here of people selling Angel fry. The water must be okay for breeding them. I've never bred them or even owned and Angel before, so I'm not sure if anything needs to be added to the water to make it more suitable for them.

welcome!!!

as far as our Edmonton water goes, it's a bit high in ph (usually around the 7.8 mark) and is hard, but not 'liquid rock', lol.

most fish bought here would be acclimated and used to our water already, so no issues on setting up a community tank. not sure on the angel breeding though.

Thanks for the info on the water. I'm still looking around fir a tank. Aquarium central actually seems close to big Als prices.

Maybe in tanks but for fish, plants, and dry goods I find that they're always lower.

I bought a fluval ebi from AC and it was $10 cheaper than Al's. Plus the guys there are a lot cooler

Yea, I will be buying at aquarium central for sure. Prices are better, guys seem great, and it's a lot closer to home....lol

Missed out on a free tank today online. Oh well. Still haven't come up with a budget, but always looking for a free one online.