Where To Start?

farico

Hey,

So I'm making the transition to a planted tank. Currently it's just sitting there empty. I've read a few things on line and every article seems to be different so I wanted some local input. It's a 50 gal, and ideally I would love to keep Geo's but from past experience they are diggers. So I'm looking for driftwood that I can have plants attached to so they get dug up everyday. I've read that you start with the dirt base, preferably one made for aquariums and then have the gravel on top. I'd like to use a white "sand" like, very fine grain gravel. After the gravel, here is where I get confused. Do I add the plants or the water next? Also what is the best way to plant them so that they stay rooted? Do I need to add anything to the water right away, or wait a few weeks? Sorry for the silly questions, but I'm a noob when it comes to planted tanks.

Thanks,

I've had planted Geo tanks several times. IME, a sand substrate is all that's needed - I like Quickrete brand from Home Depot the best.

You can rinse the sand first or jus put it in te tank before water. You'll want 3-5" of it. SLOWLY add water (pouring it onto a plate so it doesn't churn the sand is the best way to keep it from clouding up) to about the 1/2-3/4 mark. Then add your hardscape (rocks/wood, etc). Then add plants.

For a Geo tank leave a good space up front with no plants, but cram the rest of the tank full. If you have any heavy root feeders (swords, Crypts) add sone root tabs to the substrate BESIDE the plant.

Give your plants a few weeks to get established - it's a good idea to have your CO2 and fert schedule from the get-go if you're wanting to start w. Geos - you want your plants to be well established so they're hard to move. After a few weeks and the plants are growing well, go ahead and add your fish. You won't have to worry about adding only a few fish at a time bc the plants will take care of any ammonia spike - it's their prefered food, but we typically only feed then Nitrate when fertilizing.