Switching From Fresh To Start

darrin34

For unseen problems i am having troubles with my tropheus tank and i am considering switching it over to a salt tank , it is not drilled for over flows. I have no way of getting it drilled noe do i wanna move it , I am wondering if using my two fx5 filters will work and If purchasing an internal skimmer will work ? I want corals and what not i will be getting a metal hylide light , for the tank wich is 175g , any imput will be greatly appreciated

If you can, get an overflow with a sump. Canisters can work, but they can also cause problems. You MUST be diligent with cleaning them as they can become nitrate factories. You can leave them empty and just use them for flow if you like as most of the filtration is live rock. I do think using an overflow box is a much better idea. Then you can have an in sump skimmer as well as a place to put heaters, cheato, etc. I think your system will be much better off.

For unseen problems i am having troubles with my tropheus tank and i am considering switching it over to a salt tank , it is not drilled for over flows. I have no way of getting it drilled noe do i wanna move it , I am wondering if using my two fx5 filters will work and If purchasing an internal skimmer will work ? I want corals and what not i will be getting a metal hylide light , for the tank wich is 175g , any imput will be greatly appreciated

You can run your 2 fx5, with just live rubble or live rock in it. Just remove the media baskets. You can keep the filter floss or sponge if you want, but you will have to rinse them out weekly. You can also keep the carbon too.

Other than that you will have to drill, or use an overflow. I would recommend going with the overflow into a sump for the simple reason of you can put some of your hardware down there, like skimmer and heaters to free up some real estate.

As for the light, unless you are going to be stocking SPS, then the MH lights might be over kill, might be cheaper to go T5's. Plus T5's won't kill your power bill.

You also have to consider the flow of your tank as well for the power heads, how much turn over do you need for the corals you want.....

Just my 2 cents worth.

Jeff