Getting Rid Of Snails

Ted

I bought some potassium permaganate to treat some plants (husband HATES snails) but I can't find the recipe for the dip that measures in teaspoons or mls rather than grams. Anyone have instructions, including time?

Thanks

Theresa

I believe a teaspoon would be too big to measure with. Usually, all you need is a few crystals for a large bucket. I prefer to go by color: you want water that is dark pink - not light pink or deep purple. Then soak for 15-20 min and rinse in clean water.

You may find this page helpful. It also lists other methods for plant dips, along with their pro's and con's.

Edited by aquabrain

Great article. Thanks. Will get on it tomorrow.

Theresa

I believe a teaspoon would be too big to measure with. Usually, all you need is a few crystals for a large bucket. I prefer to go by color: you want water that is dark pink - not light pink or deep purple. Then soak for 15-20 min and rinse in clean water.

You may find this page helpful. It also lists other methods for plant dips, along with their pro's and con's.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

snails in a planted tank can be your friend, by eating the dead plant matter and cleaning up leftover food. i say leave them, tell the hubby they are good for the tank, and unless the population gets out of control (which really only happens if you overfeed your tank), and enjoy the lil critters.

• 5 months later...

I got a clown loach specifically to control the snail population. The Ramshorn isn't totally wiped out, I still see some big ones here and there but there are a lot of empty shells on my gravel bed nowadays. I also have some assasin snails to help out. Even though the Ramshorns were a lot before I got them, They're population has come down to a "respectable" level and I believe I've achieved balance.

They do eat leftover food and keep the gravel bed clean and is why I don't want them totally gone.

It's not like "Walking Dead" snail but more like "Mad Max (beyond thunderdome)" snail population