Sexing Apistogramma Hongsloi

oceanpearl

Hey everyone,

I have a pair of hongslois that I bought back in March 2011. When I got them they were too young to be sexed properly so the guy used his best judgement when selecting them and we just hoped they would eventually become a mated pair. They pretty small, about an inch long. They are growing, one more than the other, and are definitely getting wider too. I have them in a 29 gallon with tons of caves and a school of tetras as dithers.

he apistos are doing great and I love watching them but the annoying thing is I still can't tell if they are males or females or a pair! Right now they both are pretty yellow but neither are showing much red or the elongated fins. They seem to change color too so sometimes I think I can see red on one but then other times I can't. Is it still to early to tell? They are at least 6 months old.

Behaviour wise, I have seen them doing some dancing, swimming horizontally and flapping tails at eachother - this has been going on for some time but lately its just the bigger one chasing the littler one away as soon as it comes into view. No more dancing! Is it possible that I have two males or two females?

Do I need to wait a bit longer to see if the red shows up on one? I can't seem to find info on the age at which the red starts showing....

Thanks!

To me it sounds like 2 females. If it were 2 males one would be showing dominant colors by now.