Freshwater Electric Eels

macdre

i have come across a guy who is wanting to sell me some electric eels

4 x 3 feet and about as thick around as your fist

now my question is this , has anyone had any of these and are they active, the reason i ask is because i dont want to dedicate a huge tank for a lump that sits and does nothing and that can kill me..

that being said if they are active and actively hunt than i would be more inclined however i am interested in these bad boys just dont want to lose a huge tank to some BORING fish so to speak.

any thoughts or input would be appreciated.

and yes i know they can kill you and yes i know with multiples it increases the likely hood of being zapped

and yes i get it they are electric.

lol

LMAO...your post made me laugh!

There's a guy at a flea market here in Calgary who has one on display...it's probably about 4ft long? and it certainly does move around...though I think his tank is a bit small for him. That's as far as my experience goes, but I did see them showcased on River Monsters...what a wierd fish!

there crazy thats for sure,

i have a few big tanks kicking around but i just dont want to dedicate a big one for a coupke of these things if all they do is lay on the bottom like a lungfish

but what i have seen on you tube, and different animal type shows along with river monsters

i think i may go ahead and get them.

LMAO...your post made me laugh!

There's a guy at a flea market here in Calgary who has one on display...it's probably about 4ft long? and it certainly does move around...though I think his tank is a bit small for him. That's as far as my experience goes, but I did see them showcased on River Monsters...what a wierd fish!

I'm 90% sure Doc_Polit had one of these guys that he was shocked by a while back... It might not of been him BUT someone on this site has one and it's quite big if I remember correctly. I'll try to root around and try to find the post.

It could have been Evolution as well I would ask both of them, though I haven't seen either around the site lately!

Good Luck.

Edited by Morphine

thanks morph

I'm 90% sure Doc_Polit had one of these guys that he was shocked by a while back... It might not of been him BUT someone on this site has one and it's quite big if I remember correctly. I'll try to root around and try to find the post.

It could have been Evolution as well I would ask both of them, though I haven't seen either around the site lately!

Good Luck.