Hello From Edmonton

iceman86

Just Saying hello. I just got into this hobby a couple months ago and have been addicted since. I currently have a 55 gallon tank with 8 guppies, 1 angelfish, 2 bala sharks, and today i picked up a panther crab :)

I Look forward to learning lots on here about this hobby with fellow Albertans.

Welcome to the site! :D Sounds like a great tank!

it is a nice tank but tonight when i got home i went to feed them and my crab is missing.... i lifted up all the decorations and he was nowhere to be found. I even moved some of the gravel around thinking hes under but i couldn't find him and hes about 3" and bright red. Kind of hard to miss on white and black gravel. hmmmm.....

Welcome to the site! :D Sounds like a great tank!

it is a nice tank but tonight when i got home i went to feed them and my crab is missing.... i lifted up all the decorations and he was nowhere to be found. I even moved some of the gravel around thinking hes under but i couldn't find him and hes about 3" and bright red. Kind of hard to miss on white and black gravel. hmmmm.....

It's possible that the fish ate it. Especially if it had molted, it would've been an easy snack. I think Bala Sharks get rather large. I've read that they need a 100+ gallon tank and like to be in schools. They'll likely outgrow the tank their in, and may even eat the guppies. They're likely the ones that ate the crab, though I'm sure the other fish got a bit too. Crustacean's are often eaten by fish, so housing them in the same take is risky, but it can be done with the right fish and the right set up. Though, even with all of that they can still get eaten. I tried putting some shrimp in my 20 gallon and they got eaten, but in my 10 leader tank the 3 fish I had in it never touched the shrimp, though they did swim around chasing each other and disturbed everything in the tank lol

The guppies and angelfish should be fine together. I would just keep an eye on them to see if there's any fin nipping or aggression from the angelfish. Fish with long pretty tails seem to be very appealing to other fish. Sorry I didn't think of the info about the Bala Sharks before. It just clicked when I re-read the post, cause last night my husband was talking about what he wanted to put in his 10 gallon after I move his Tetras to my 55 gallon. He asked about Bala Sharks and I told him they get huge, and needed a much larger tank. It's always good to do lot's of research before adding anything to a tank :) The sharks should be fine in the 55 for a little while though, I imagine they're not too big yet.