A question about raising fry...

nevchewy

I keep my cichlid tank at about 79F and since i'm setting up a seperate grow out tank for the fry i'm about to have... I just had a few questions.

I read somewhere that with higher temps, it will increase the metabolism in fish.

does this hold truth for fry as well.

my theory...

if i raise the temp from the normal 79F that i keep my adult cichlids in, to maybe 82F (i would gradually raise the temp, not just up it and shock the fish). Would this help speed up their growth?

:well:

Just wondering what the experts had to say...

My female lab will be be holding for 28 full days this monday. I should be expecting my first batch of fry very soon! I'm very excited to see how many eggs she was holding!

A fry is still a fish, so yes, raising the temp. will speed up their metabolism. But something as small as 79 to 82 I doubt would really make much, if any, difference. Most people who raise their fry tanks raise them up to ~86 (the lake does get this hot, even hotter at the surface). But in all honesty, I think you'd get the best results by doing more frequent water changes (50% a day is what I often do when growing out fry).

Also keep in mind that water holds less O2 at higher temperatures, so adequate surface agitation becomes very important. I keep my fry tank at 80-81F, but like Kyle I perform large frequent water changes. Water temp, water quality, and diet, all go hand in hand with growing out quality fry.