First Saltwater Tank

knickle22

Hello,

I am in the beginning stages of setting up my first saltwater tank. It is going to be a 75G tank and i have a few questions..

First, i am planning on using a sump and am thinking about making is myself. I'm not sure what size exactly i am going to use but i think around 50G glass tank and do a sump/refugium. if i make it myself what should i use for baffles, glass, acrylic or dose it even make a difference?

Second, I was wondering what all you use for salt? Any you would not recommend? and is it all right to buy lower quality salt to start the tank and then switch over to high quality salt once the tank has cycled?

I think that is it for now but i have a feeling a few more questions well arise, lol

Edited by knickle22

Oh yes one more question. Right now i have a 2 stage under-cabinet filter i use for drinking water. I tested for nitrate and phosphate and both were pretty much undetectable. Do you think this well be alright to use? what else should i test for?

IMO you should make the baffles out of glass...cheaper.

You can certainly use cheaper salt amd then move over to something else...i used to use IO Reef..but now have the more expensive stuff. You may find that the cheaper stuff doesn't mix quickly but if you are going to pre mix (good idea) then that's not a worry.

Y can use any water you want. I use straight tap water

IMO you should make the baffles out of glass...cheaper.

You can certainly use cheaper salt amd then move over to something else...i used to use IO Reef..but now have the more expensive stuff. You may find that the cheaper stuff doesn't mix quickly but if you are going to pre mix (good idea) then that's not a worry.

You can use any water you want. I use straight tap water

Hello,

I am in the beginning stages of setting up my first saltwater tank. It is going to be a 75G tank and i have a few questions..

First, i am planning on using a sump and am thinking about making is myself. I'm not sure what size exactly i am going to use but i think around 50G glass tank and do a sump/refugium. if i make it myself what should i use for baffles, glass, acrylic or dose it even make a difference?

Second, I was wondering what all you use for salt? Any you would not recommend? and is it all right to buy lower quality salt to start the tank and then switch over to high quality salt once the tank has cycled?

I think that is it for now but i have a feeling a few more questions well arise, lol

For sump designs, I would first draw it out, you can you google sketch for this (http://sketchup.google.com/ ). The simple reason for this, is you may miss something in the planning phase and it is a pain to fix a sump once it has water, plumbing and equipment all in it. Are you going to be running a refugium? My suggestion for baffles is to use glass, acrylic might be cheaper, but it also flexes under the water pressure. Every time I have set up a tank, I always used cheap salt and tap water for the start up cycle, then thru the weekly water changes, add in the good salt and RO water.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Jeff

I used Instant Ocean for almost 3 years with good results. It's probably one of the cheapest salts but it's good quality. I switched over to H2Ocean last year when I added SPS coral to my tank. I experienced great growth and colors just by changing to this salt. The only downside is the price--about $70 a bucket. It costs a small fortune initially starting up a SW tank, save yourself a few bucks and go with Instant Ocean.

I used Instant Ocean for almost 3 years with good results. It's probably one of the cheapest salts but it's good quality. I switched over to H2Ocean last year when I added SPS coral to my tank. I experienced great growth and colors just by changing to this salt. The only downside is the price--about $70 a bucket. It costs a small fortune initially starting up a SW tank, save yourself a few bucks and go with Instant Ocean.

See here is where I find that spending the money upfront for quality salt, then the less you have to dose the tank. I find with the high end salt, the less I have to add additives to the tank, where as the cheaper the salt, the more I have to add it to supplement.

I have since switch to Salinity by AquaVitro, and by far it is my favourite salt, haven't had to add any additives at all, it is all in the mixture, or so they say. But have noticed a big difference in my SPS, even brought one colony back from melting.

Jeff

• 5 months later...

I'd be interested in trying Salinity but rocking a 29 gallon bio cube I'm not sure I need the great big bucket of it,just seems like it would be an easier product to work with than instant ocean. (yes I'm still in the setup stages lol) anyone want to split a bucket? :lol: