Silicone

Rainmaker69

I have been looking for safe silicone for a while now, with no success. Went to crappy tire today and checked out mastercraft silicones and found that they recommend this window and door silicone for aquariums. Kicker is that I want to use it for making my marine sump and it says not for marine use below waterline. Do you think that it would be suitable for this? Buy the buy, 4.49 for 300ml.

GE Silicone I is the stuff you want. Most hardware stores carry it.

From another forum .........

from GE about GE I:

DISCLAIMER: THE MATERIALS AND PRODUCTS OF THE BUSINESSES MAKING UP THE GE PLASTICS UNIT OF GENERAL ELECTRIC COMPANY, ITS SUBSIDIARIES AND AFFILIATES (GEP), ARE SOLD SUBJECT TO GEPS STANDARD CONDITIONS OF SALE, WHICH ARE INCLUDED IN THE APPLICABLE DISTRIBUTOR OR OTHER SALES AGREEMENT, PRINTED ON THE BACK OF ORDER ACKNOWLEDGMENTS AND INVOICES, AND AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST. ALTHOUGH ANY INFORMATION, RECOMMENDATIONS, OR ADVICE CONTAINED HEREIN IS GIVEN IN GOOD FAITH, GEP MAKES NO WARRANTY OR GUARANTEE, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, (I) THAT THE RESULTS DESCRIBED HEREIN WILL BE OBTAINED UNDER END-USE CONDITIONS, OR (II) AS TO THE EFFECTIVENESS OR SAFETY OF ANY DESIGN INCORPORATING GEP MATERIALS, PRODUCTS, RECOMMENDATIONS OR ADVICE. EXCEPT AS PROVIDED IN GEPS STANDARD CONDITIONS OF SALE, GEP AND ITS REPRESENTATIVES SHALL IN NO EVENT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY LOSS RESULTING FROM ANY USE OF ITS MATERIALS OR PRODUCTS DESCRIBED HEREIN. Each user bears full responsibility for making its own determination as to the suitability of GEPs materials, products, recommendations, or advice for its own particular use. Each user must identify and perform all tests and analyses necessary to assure that its finished parts incorporating GEP materials or products will be safe and suitable for use under end-use conditions. Nothing in this or any other document, nor any oral recommendation or advice, shall be deemed to alter, vary, supersede

We don't recommend any of our products for underwater submersion, but some aquarium manufacturers do choose to use our products on glass to glass aquariums. The products they use most often are RTV108 or IS808. These are industrial grade products. Our consumer grade (this means they would be found at Home Depot or a local hardware store) offset to these industrial grade products is GE012A (Window and Door Silicone I).

and this .........

Just something they sent me long time ago and figured i'd post it. GE II has better all round (plastics, rock...etc.) adhesive properties than GE I. Although GE I and II rate glass binding at 7, GE I holds glass better (and this is not GE telling me this, I discovered this myself along with many others. Both can be used, you just need to get the windows and doors (blue tube) and not bath and kitchen (red tube, has mildew prevention, fungicides..etc.). The one difference between GE I and II besides binding properties is the way they cure. GE I cures via acetic acid and GE II via ammonia. I just figeured I'd post this stuff to clear the confusion I thought everyone had known. The disclaimer about not for aquariums is, from what i had known to be circulating (not sure of the truthfulness about it though) is that GE was sued when a big aquarium fell apart and lots of water damage...etc. to this persons house. Now the questions remains whether this person applied the silcone properly and allowed it to cure properly before water was added. I know i leave it for at least a week. From what i've heard (again not sure of its validity) is that AGA uses GE I and the disclaimer previosly mentioned seems to point that without naming AGA. Take all this for whats its worth...just additional information. I've always used GE I without problems and many advanced reefers use it to. Hope this clears it up.

and this ............

GE Silicone I is the same exact product, dispensed by the same machines that is used by professional aquarium manufacturers and sold to your LFS. GE can no longer say their GE I is for aquariums because they repackage the product and sell it to your LFS and charge an arm and a leg for it. GE Silicone II, I'm almost positive it has agents in it to prevent mildew and those agents are lethal to fish. DO NOT use Bath&Tub sealant it is NOT aquarium safe because of fungicides and anti-mildew agents. Silicone I is not only aquarium safe but it's the same exact product used by aquarium manufacturing companies. You have to love that legal BS trying to make you pay more for the same product in a different color tube....

• 1 month later...

RONA brand 'window and door' is cheaper than the GE products and the exact same thing... guess who's gunk is in the tube? *nods* GE.

I'll be doing a custom acrylic tank this weekend with the stuff, I'll let you know how it turns out... in a week.