Live rocks

fatpuffer

Well golds is always the best price... Wais - if you're looking for really small peices - has rubble on sale for 5.99 a lb.

And while yes, dead rock will become live in time, most types of base rock are nowhere near as porous as true live rock, thus they will never be equivalent to 'real' live rock. But in time they will grow coraline, start to sustain animal life etc etc etc, but without the porosity, they will not be able to support the bioload that the real stuff can.

Andy

I have to say Golds once again Rocks.....with rocks. Last Thursday I decided to buy 15 lbs of rock from Riverfront to start my cycle as golds was closed. Purchased it took it home and threw it in. On monday I went to Golds and bought 12 pounds in the form of one rock. Same price, a bit smaller in weight but the rock was no contest. The rocks I got from Riverfront were dense and kind of ugly. The rock I got from golds is very purple colored with lots of life all over it. It also weighs less, but is much bigger and has way more surface area.

Just because they say premium does not mean it is good. :)

I am far from an expert, but if you saw the rock you would understand what I mean. There is a difference.

There's no rock left til next shipment :shock:

Pending on the locality (pray it's Indo), it'll be $5.99/lb (fiji) to $7.99/lb(indo).

Keep your eyes open though guys. With that new system I just did in the back, I'm going to try something new with rock; I'll show you what "Premium" rock should look like :guns:

How much water current/movement does the LR need...i.e. 40 lbs of LR and xp3 spraybay and HOB...is that enough water movement for a 40 gallon wide tank?

Thanks...js

p.s. tanks is 36 inches long by 15 inches tall by 18 inches wide.

Edited by fatpuffer

No, you should get at least one powerhead in there to add some lateral flow. Personally I would add two; large one near the bottom pointing across the tank and a smaller one on the other end placed higher with flow angled out towards the front of the tank.

Keep in mind that this is just what works for me; you really don't need to do anything other than use a protein skimmer, use lots of flow and make sure your rock is stacked properly so that it doesn't inhibit flow through the entire stratum of your tank. Power the water movement hardcore. Once a week 10% water changes and BAM, there's your nitrate free, algae free, hassle free, idiot proof reef tank.

Actually, no, let me revoke that; NOTHING is idiot proof. Personal experience.

Edited by albert_dao