Rameirez Rams

Eugene

Does anyone in Calgary know wich stores soften there water just curious. Has anyone used resin bags to soften water how successful were the results what are the specific problems and how do you recharge them.My daughter freeked cause her rams died after 2 days.

Rams are very sensitive to change. Odds are its was already stressed in the store and the move just gave it that final shove to kick the bucket. I don't know if any stores soften their water, and the only real way to do it would be to use an RO unit. Resin bags (i'm assuming you mean peat bags or almond leave tea bags) won't soften the water, it will merely make it more acidic. Your best bet, rather than playing with water parameters, would be to provide a stable, suitable environment for the rams and keep it that way. I kept rams for years, in a well planted tank, without modifying calgary water.

resin bags soften water but they replace calcium and magnesium with sodium..so I wouldnt recommend using them...

Is the TDS content going any lower by using resin bags? Or does it stay the same, just reformulated with more sodium than calcium and magnesium? I'd be wary of anything that just substitutes.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't mess with your water, unless you plan on using RO. I have kept WC rams and blue rams in Red Deer water and in 50/50 RO/tap water. Stability and temp seem to be the keys to success with these little guys.

messing with water can be like a dog chasing its tail.

Edited by Jayba