Power Filter Modifications...?

Tanker

I am considering modifying a power filter to basicaly create a 'current' in the tank.

Plan A is to use an additional intake tube from a standard small filter and make a 90 degree bend in the intake pipe, then extend it horizontally along the back of the tank to the right. By placing the filter itself on the left side of the back, and running the intake to the right side, I am hoping to get a better current going in the tank.

It just seems to me that in my plant growning tanks, I have all the water flow on one extreme side, and nothing on the other... options otherwise would be to place the filter in the middle, but I'd like to avoid that in favor of the 'current' if possible, and without going to a canister style.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Sounds like a good idea to me. I have seen some people use power heads placed strategically around the bottom of the tank to help with currents. Some people have enough that they claim pretty much all waste is kept off of the substrate and ends up in the filter, leaving a fairly clean tank.

• 3 weeks later...