Breeding Apple Snails

Dylan

I just got 3 apples to try my hand at breeding, one of them is really active and came out of his shell in about 3 minutes and started searching for food and eating, the other two though have been really slow to come out. I'm just hoping 3 is enough to start off. It might be a silly question but i don't have to worry about inbreeding them do i? i'm used to rodents and bearded dragons lol so i was wondering if they will end up mutated if i let them breed from just these three?

with apple snails, you need a male and female for them to reproduce. apple snails are not hermaphrodites like other smaller snail species commonly are.

i raised 7 generations of apple snails, and kept them all in the same tank the whole time, so i'm sure some inbreeding happened. none of my snails had any mutations or problems.

a great resource for all things apple snail is www.applesnail.net. the section you want to concentrate on for info on your snails is 'Pomacea diffusa'.