Cool Runnins

jewels

I have read that red cherry shrimp can survive temps down to near freezing. Has anyone ever had theirs down there?

I still have a nano set up in my detached garage. The water is a brisk 16 C these days. They all seem to swim freely, eat , and go about their miniscule business without visible hardship.

I have read that they will not breed below 18C, although I noticed that I have one heavily berried at the moment. They may not breed below that temp. - but I believe they can successfully gestate.

Besides shivering, how may one tell that shrimp are uncomfortably cold ?

P1180001.jpg

I'd imagine that if they were too cold, they'd be much less active. I'm still trying to find the right conditions to get my Cherries in the mood to breed...they're stubborn lol

I'd imagine that if they were too cold, they'd be much less active. I'm still trying to find the right conditions to get my Cherries in the mood to breed...they're stubborn lol

It's funny how breeding works sometimes. I have a tank full of guppies (about 10 females and 5 males) heavily planted for cover for the babies, haven't seen ANY yet.

I picked up my RCS on a Friday and I had babies the following Friday without doing anything other than dumping them in the water (or somewhere around that timeline).

Sorry about the partial hijack.

Edited by jeremoose

It's funny how breeding works sometimes. I have a tank full of guppies (about 10 females and 5 males) heavily planted for cover for the babies, haven't seen ANY yet.

I picked up my RCS on a Friday and I had babies the following Friday without doing anything other than dumping them in the water (or somewhere around that timeline).

Sorry about the partial hijack.

It's okay :)

When I first started the shrimp tank, they were breeding a bit...but now they're not. I've had my Endlers breed twice I think, but not much. It's hard to get things just right for each inhabitant, but I guess that's the fun of breeding lol

No, I would'nt venture so say they are actively breeding. The only shrimp that was berried when the temps started falling is now only holding perhaps a third of the original quantity of eggs. I have never seen a partial drop before, and do not understand the contributing factors.

I originaly posted this on the Eighth. I think that girl has been holding about a month now.

• 3 weeks later...

With the bulb resting directly atop the tank, the temp dips to about 8 overnight and makes gains to 10 or 12 over the course of the day.

The single holder in there has only but three or four eggs left. We are into the sixth week of gestation now - double normal duration.

I do not know what becomes of the other eggs; perhaps they are absorbed? Abandoned? I suppose it is possible they are hatching out as well. I am yet to see wee ones.

• 2 weeks later...