What To Do When Plants Uprooted

BettaVishVish

I have planted HC (dry start) for more than 3 weeks. The HC looks good..lush & green and I thought it's time to fill the tank with water.

I then poured the water in..slowly & carefully. I am a bit disappointed because few bunches of HC started to uproot :(. I tried to plant them in..but the HC started to spread out. I decided to stop filling the tank so that the rest of the plants won't be uprooted.

Should I take the water out and add more soils and re-planting? Personally..I don't really wanna do this because more works & I'm afraid that this will uproot more HC. But I guess if there is no other option, I have to do this.

The tank now has probably 20% of water. Any suggestion to prevent the uprooting?

thanks for your help.

Try putting a plate down on top of the HC and very slowly pour the water over top of that. Or if that still is too much flow, try putting the plate and then use a drip method to add the water to the tank really really slowly(if its a smaller tank)

How long are the roots? Is it more a problem of the HC needing more time to take root or is it that you are using soil and its so light that even a tiny amount of water flow will blow it away?

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the suggestions.

I did try pushing the HC down and as vallisneria suggested..added the water very..very..very slowly. After 1 week, the HC looks good, at least the HC don't get uprooted so far ..:)

The only problem now is ..I start seeing some algae on the rocks as well as on the HC. Boy..I just want to have a carpet plant, the algae should not be included :unsure: