Strange Growths On Koi Fins

AJanzen

We just moved houses and as a result had a fun job of transporting out koi from one house to another. Tried to make it as least stressful as possible; had a new larger tank already set up at the new house with both new (treated) and old tank water, transported all koi separately in large coolers ( koi range from 10 to 13 inches). As gentle as we were though our favorite butterfly koi lost some of her lower tail fin and now was almost tubular looking pink growths around the area (doesn't look fungus like, not white or fuzzy) also one of our smaller germanic koi has the same growth in the upper region of her tail fin (no other visible trauma). Wondering if anyone else had seen this? Is this normal regrowth or something to be concerned about?

It sounds like an infection of some sort to me. I would try adding 1tbsp of salt per 10 gal, raise the temP to the high 70s and increase aeration. The salt will battle the infection and the increased temp will increase the fishes metabolism.

but if it is a bacterial infection, wouldn't the raised temperature also increase the metabolism of the bacteria, causing it to proliferate? or would the salt counter-react the effect of the raised temperature?

i'm always hesitant to raise the temp when there is a bacterial infection present.

Ye the raised temp will increase the life cycle of the bacteria, which actually makes it more susceptible to the salt