Calgary Tapwater Experience

rp_dawg

I am quite new to the fishkeeping hobby in Calgary, and looking for advice on how smaller S,C/A cichlids (ram, keyholes, apistos) handle the local tapwater. I have kept these fish in Vancouver, where the tapwater is basically rainwater, and in KW Ontario, where the water is absurdly high in PH and hardness. I am NOT planning to go the R/O route here, so I want to stock my tank with a tri/pair of (keyholes, german rams, bolivian rams, apistos) that will be happy and healthy.

Can anyone comment on their experience raising these fish in the local tapwater? Also, are there significant differences between wild-caught and tank raised stock when considering the previous question?

Thanks

I'll speak for the German blue rams, they do fine with tap water, I have had my current pair for a year now, and they are breeding every 7-10 days. I treat with prime, and have them in a planted tank.

I'm also raising some GBR fry at the moment, all are doing fine in the tap water.

You're on a different water system than me so that may be the difference. rp_dawg, you might want to find out which location your water comes from, Bearspaw or Glenmore.

I would assume Glenmore, since I can basically throw a rock from my backyard to the reservoir (OK, if I took a 5min walk first I could do that). I actually picked up a trio of apistos from Big Als Calgary today, impulse purchase as they didn't have any of the tetras I want. Might be having a post in a day or two saying "name/sex that apisto", considering the tank they came from was next to one labelled Keyhole Cichlid, but definitely contained Bolivian Rams.

That being said - apisto experiences in Glemore tapwater?

Any central american cichlids should be fine from the get go. The south americans can do okay, it just a matter of keeping the conditions stable. Once they adjust they should do fine, it's just the initial acclimation that can be a PITA. Any that are raised locally will be much easier to keep, especially when it comes to breeding.

• 2 months later...

I have aragonite sand in my tank which increases the PH to around 8.2 and Ive been keeping dwarf cichlids and cardinal tetras without problems for over 2 years. Fish will adapt to most PH conditions but when PH fluctuates is when they have problems. So as long as your PH is stable you should be fine.