Eels

troni

Fresh or Salt water eels?

Fresh:

I have seen various spiny eels at both Big Als and Aquarium Central. Now technically spiny eels are not true eels as they are not an Anguillid. However most spiny eels stay relatively small so its a good place to start and look like eels to the untrained eye.

Spiny eels include -> Fire, tire-track and zig-zag eels (all being Mastacembelids I believe?)

Are Anguilloids ever actually sold for Fresh water? I'm not sure, does anyone know?

Salt:

(This is where you're more likely to see true eels)

Pretty sure Big Als carries salt water eels and some of them are probably true eels.

In terms of learning about eel care. Independent research is generally the best. Be sure to check multiple sources to verify the presented information :D

These guys are a decent place to start:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/

Thanks ya freshwater hench freshwater topic. That's good to hear. My had a black slimy looking one that was quite thin I hope I can find one of those. Appreciate the kick in the @$$ to get me started.

Right makes sense.

True eels move between salt and fresh at two points of their life cycle for breeding. They're a Catadromous fish meaning the live in fresh waters as adults and move to salt to breed.

Cool thing about eels is that they have this life stage called Leptocephalus larvae. Looks nothing like an eel, compressed see-through ribbon-like things which metamophose (weird thing is they actually get smaller when this happens) into what we commonly call eels. There are a whole bunch of leptocephalus larvae that are not known which species of eel (or tarpon a closely related group that also does this) they belong too.

No one has ever seen eels breed in the wild either.

Visual aid:

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@mnr/@sorr/documents/images/mnr_e003649.jpg

They're quite mysterious.

So many many fish to study and not enough Scientists/grant money/time.