Filter Hoses

troni

So I bought a used rena xp2 but I need a hose. So while I was at lowes I looked at the plumbing area and there was a black tubing for 39 cents a foot! Big als was selling for 3.99 a foot. Is there anything I should look for if wheb I go this root?

The only thing I'd suggest is making sure the inside diameter (ID) and outside diameter (OD) are as close a match to the original as possible. Even if you have to get a bit smaller you can always dip the end in hot water and stretch it over the barbs or connectors. If you like black and that's what you're looking for then get that stuff but I do know most hardware stores also have clear vinyl tubing as well that fit nicely as filter hoses.

If I remember correctly, the tubing on your Rena doesn't have to bend around an elbow like on the Fluval rim connectors. So if you're replacing the hose(s) between the canister and the inlet/outlet pipes then you don't have to worry about the hose outside diameter.

You will need the proper sized tube ID though! Using tubing with a smaller ID will cause two potential issues: 1) the smaller tube ID will restrict water flow and reduce your filter's intended output. 2) stretching the tube end over a fitting that's too big (if you can stretch it that much) will stress the tube and cause it to split and fail.

The white PEX tubing supplied by hardware stores intended to distribute hot/cold water in homes will be safe - pretty stiff stuff though. The black polyvinyl chloride (PVC) tubing made by Watts (w/o polyester braid) is aquarium safe by their own claim. I doubt Watts owns the market though.

Gravel vacuums use clear vinyl tube, so do air pumps. The rolls of clear vinyl I saw at HD were less money that the rolls of black PVC.

Was the stuff you saw at BA's a ribbed flex hose troni?

Edited by Fisher

yes ill keep that in mind and im not sure what kind it was it was the cheapest i could see, oh i think fuel hose, which now sounds bad

I doubt you'll find a food grade fuel hose because the industries don't readily intersect troni. You will find food grade grease, yes, but you won't find food grade fuels (excluding scoobie snacks). It doesn't mean the hose you bought will kill your fish troni. The inside "tube" of automotive fuel line is (generally) made of nitrile rubber which is also used in the food industry. Go figure. I know nothing about food grade nitrile.

However, fuel hose is also made from reinforced PVC.

Six years ago, FDA wouldn't certify hoses for the food industry that's manufactured from recycled PVC - two reasons why food grade can carry a higher price tag. I doubt FDA has changed that standard.

It's a big decision troni. I recommend you listen to the title track of Quiet Riot's 3rd album while you deliberate. ^_^

Your an interesting character fisher, I haven't bought it yet, going today though. Ill look closer into it when I get there and if I try it out ill report back but first I'm going to find that track.

So I bought vinyl tubing for 44 cents a foot at first 3/8 id 1/2 od and fit right in the middle so I returned it and bought 1/2 id 5/8 od and needed to boil water to get it over the barbs. But it worked. Water flowed and all the only thing is where I boiled it to fit it over is weak and kinks really easy so no I gotta devise a way to keep it straight and firm without my wife.