Breeding Tank Setup

ATM

I have a few fish I want to breed by starting up a 10 gallon breeding tank with a sponge filter and bare bottom no plants. What I'm wondering about is maintaining water quality. Are water changes enough to keep it clean enough for fry? And if I have a seeded sponge filter will there we enough waste products for the bacteria to survive and clean the water of ammonia, nitrates etc or is it just there to keep physical debris clear? I guess I wondering how the filter works for a breeding/fry tank.

I currently have a 10g setup exactly the way you're describing to raise guppy fry. The sponge filter is the perfect filter for a fry grow-out tank and no additional filtration is necessary. You will want to keep up on vacuuming out excess waste however, since sponge filters are poor mechanical filters.

EDIT: A bare tank would work fine but a couple of simple, low-light plants would go a long ways towards a healthy, clean tank.

Edited by jeremoose

Sponge filters work relativly no different. They draw water threw the sponge picking up debris. The sponge also acts as a surface for all your nitrifying bacteria. The amount of bacteria will depend on how much waste, leftover food there is.