DIY

Smokey

G'day everyone.

I would like to see any ideas, accomplishments, or projects. anyone has been involved in.

Any questions - I will do my damnest to help ;)

Over the years I have:

>built tanks

>repaired tanks

>designed tanks

>stands

> racks

>etc

> and a whole bunch of things>>> that-did-not-quite-work-out-as-well-as-I-had-envisioned... :angry:

I am presently putting together my 7 or is it the 8th[??] fish room. :P

The few big DIY projects i have done are building the stand to my 58g. It was great as i needed a tank and i also got credits for school (Industrial arts credits :D ). My dad watched over me to make sure i didn't screw up though.

With the help of my dad(he is a metal shop intructor) we built metal lights cases that hold up my fluorescents so they sit right on top of the glass lid.

We also built a metal cabinet stand for my 90g. IT is awesome, it could hold up a tank :P Its stronger then we need but looks great. And the best part is we only had to pay 70$ for materials :)

I'll try and get some pics later tonight if you want.

• 2 months later...

Here is DIY Canpoy for my 150 gallon Oceanic Tank. Dimensions on tank are L 183cm X46cm wide x 63 cm tall. The canopy is built out of 5/8" melamine board with an Oak finish on outside. It is built .5 " wider and longer than tank. Inside there is 4- HO -95Watt 6 foot lights from 1, 4 way ballast and 2 -65 Watt Bulbs. I will be redoing this canopy this winter by replacing the 2 65 watt bulbs with 4 more 95 wattx 6 foot tubes.

Current watts per gallon are 3.7 watts per gallon. You would think that this is enough wattage to grow most plants. most likely would be, but because of the depth it is not suffient. That is Y the change is coming and I will have 760watts total when im done. This is 4.1 watts per gallon. Current cost of lid and lights is :

Canopy 4x 8 melamine cabnet grade 5/8" Plywood @ $49.99

Trim moulding @ $ 12.00

Piano Hinge @ $ 8.00

Labour @ free

1 can of Varathane Semi-gloos @ $ 8.00

4 x 6' 95 watt lights @ 18.00 each =$ 72.00

1 - 4 waty ballast HO @ $65.00

2 - 65 Watt Walsun Bulbs @ 90.00 (very expensive, nice but to much)

2- ballast for Walsun Bulbs at 75.00

Total @ $ 380.00

Cheap compared to the lfs stuff, if you can even achieve that kind of wattage/ gallon. And by design has a very low user capacity, if your the dude paying the Power Bill.

Garhan :ml:

post-29-1096917168

Thanks for the information/post, Garhan.

I am just wondering _ does all the light have to be directly on top?

Would plants benifit if some of the lighting was - say on the back of the tank, say lower down ??

I understand plants grow in the direction of the light source, however, could "Side Lighting" be of any advantage???.

Just curious B)

Smokey

Smokey, you now what i have no experience with that. So my answer might be something like, Im not sure but why not give it a try. Your right that planys grow toward the light source. But I hesitate to make the comment, can it be Bonzied. I know with overhead light when you cut and clip some plants you can actually make them grow side ways, or in a given direction. So would the transvers then be true...dont know.

Good question. i will see what I can find out and get more info.

Cheers,

Garhan :ml:

Garhan_I have some of those submergable fluroscent light units. 2 footers.

If proper grow-tubes were installed and submerged into a tank of plants: what do you think would occurr[??].

Smokey B)

Wow, cool idea, let me gather my thoughts. man o man, I suppose to would depend were it is hung in the tank, without affecting the astetics ( if you even cared about that - maybe you do, just summarizing in my head). Example might be foreground plants, usually most aquarists find that fairly challenging. Many of these plants grow irregularly if they do not have the suffient amount of light. Glosso will grow taller without the proper light, same with Lilaeopsis brasiliensis, Echinodorus tenellus, to a degree, this is a fine line as the pososite will more likely happen 9wilt and die, due to lack of. But have you thought of a palaurium (?). 1/3 water in tank, like a river bank setup, and the other 2/3 would hold a mess of rock and root structure. like a Cypress swamp effect or everglade type of display. I guess that is getting away from what you are trying to achieve. I need to get my head around this one. Let me respond in a few days. Tanks in advance for your patience. Lumens or KV of lights, watts ? Back drop to an abbyss-light as effect.

2/3's water, 1/3 terrestrial- marshland (not enough hieght for plants, probably)

You got me going !!!!! <_<

Cheers,

garhan :ml:

• 2 weeks later...

Smokey I am stumbed. I can not figure out how to set those lights under water without disrubting the view. Well at least in a pure aquatic scenerio.

Sorry, but I wasnt much help. I was sitting on a rig at Peace River for sebveral days thinking about. So I put in lots of mental process into this idea. I still think a half tank/ half terrarium would be a great way to go.

Cheers,

garhan :ml:

Thanks for the feed-back, Garhan. You are correct about the asthical implecations.

The idea will give me something to contemplate this winter! :rolleyes:

Smokey

A challenge is only a challenge only if someone accepts the challenge.

:smokey:

• 1 year later...

I guess time for a first post in this forum.

I have had community tanks for a very long time and upon moving into a new house decided it was time to move up a little. I bought a used tank and stand and it has proven to be a nightmare. Since then I have bought a replacement tank, and built a custom stand.

Adding to the nightmare, the stand is not quite as flat as I would have liked, but I am hoping that paper shims, and the pink Styrofoam will be enough to prevent a catastrophic disaster (namely 100 gallons on my floor)

pictures of the old and new tank

http://mee2.tripod.com/fish/

The new tank still needs doors and a central brace (to be fixed in place once the sump is in.)