Yet Another New Member

kdjohnson

Hi all, I joined the forums a couple weeks ago, but have since had issues with internet and just plainly not having time to visit the site. I currently have two tanks running, a 25 gallon with a lone African cichlid and a 90 gallon community tank that is a mix of various fish.

The reason I joined the forum was for advice on a recent situation that involved my 2yr old, fish food and my 90 gallon. Because of my inability to get to the forum, I got advice from local fish stores. While it is fortunate that I didn't loose my entire tank, I did end up loosing about 1/3 of my fish due to over eating. I have just gotten the tank to stabilize again and will soon be looking to restock. I plan on adding more varieties of fish, more plants and a CO2 injection system. I have the feeling that I should acquire a less open stand for the tank before doing the CO2 or at least build a cabinet to contain the system. Otherwise, I'll likely have more 2yr old related issues.

Thanks for looking,

Kevin

Wow that is really unfortunate your kid over fed your tank.

Welcome to AA,there's lots of helpful people here.

So what was the food problem?Were you home when your tank was overfed?

I would have just done a large waterchange and made sure to suck up as much food as possible,And added a new pack of carbon in the filter or inthe tank to get rid of the bad water quality caused by overfeeding.

Also adding a bunch of live plants to a tank will really help water quality,if you need a quick fix.

Looking forward to Seeing you around the forum

Unfortunately, I wasn't home when he did it. My wife was but she doesn't know how to do anything with my tank. What happened was he climbed the tank somehow and got the container and dumped about 280g of sinking pellets in. As soon a I got home I vacuumed a much put as I could but they had about an hour to eat. Everything seems to be good now according to my water tests.

I use the strips for convenience. I usually don't test unless a fish looks sick or something like this happens.

I was a little upset about losing my two dwarf plecos as I'd had them for 4 years. The rest of the fish are much younger. I had just started to have breeding going on too. 2 of 4 babies survived.