Why?

Candy

So I recieved another tank from a friend. I bring the stupid thing home, get it all set up put the fish(guppies) back in. I did everything the same as I always do but for the 3 weeks I have had it I have gone down to find a dead fish every morning. I have done water changes treated the fish with anti parasitic food. I just can't figure out why I am loosing these fish.

I am soo frustrated does anyone have any ideas???

Thanks

Candy

You are going to have to give a ton more info than they were dead. Give us the full water chemistry that you got after testing the water. Ammonia, nitraite and nitrate, PH, GH,KH etc. Your answer more than likely lies in that information.

Most people assume disease, but dissolved gas in water this time of year, ammonia or nitrite spike from improper cycling and a ton of other variables need to be confirmed or dismissed first. Did your friend clean the tank with something?

What symptoms are the fish showing? Wasting etc. Guppies are known for calimus worms.

Edited by Jayba

The tank was very neglected( sooo gross), I thought maybe I did not cycle the tank after cleaning it or maybe I didn't clean it enough. It was full of sludge dead mts and live mts there could have been dead fish in it but I couldn't even see through the water before I emptied it to bring it home. I tossed the smelly gross sand substrate she had in it. I have been testing the water and it all seems to fall into the "normal" categories.

I am honestly ready to just toss everything and start from scratch. There are only a few guppies left and 4 out 6 pygmy cory's. I have never had this happen out of all the tanks I have brought home.

Give us the full water chemistry that you got after testing the water. Ammonia, nitraite and nitrate, PH, GH,KH etc. Your answer more than likely lies in that information.

+1. Check your test kits, too. If you're using dip-stick tests, they tend to lie.

My guess is that perhaps the change in water quality was too sudden? If the fish have been living in a dirty tank for a long time, they might've gotten used to the bad water. So a steep change in water quality, even in the right direction, can cause shock and death.

Otherwise, a long time ago, I've had one-by-one deaths in my swordtail tanks. It turned out to be neon tetra disease, and it wiped out all 30+ fish. While it's unlikely your fish have it, you might wanna check anyway. The dorsal musculature turns cloudy in fish that will die soon.

Edited by aquabrain

My guess is that perhaps the change in water quality was too sudden? If the fish have been living in a dirty tank for a long time, they might've gotten used to the bad water. So a steep change in water quality, even in the right direction, can cause shock and death.

this was my first thought as soon as i read 'the tank was very neglected'. causing a drastic and fast change in horrid water conditions can shock the fish and harm them, even though you think getting them into clean water is the best thing for them (it's not). i always think of getting a dirty tank clean being like climbing mount everest - you gotta do it slow, and adjust to the changing conditions in increments, or else you're gonna kill yourself.

That could very well have been it. I totally didn't even think about that,DUH!! That and the food she gave me I believe was rancid. Sooo gross. No one died last night. Hopefully it isn't sick fish and it was just me thinking I was making them super happy.