Diffuser or reactor?

Yeaulman

Ok here goes one more question. I am looking at getting a glass and ceramic diffuser for my 20g soon to be planted tank. Will this disolve the co2 completely or should I just make a reactor with a powerhead?

The diffuser looks like this: CO2%20Difuser.JPG

Anyone ever use these before?

The uptake of the C02 into the water will probably be fairly slow. It looks like you just get a bubble that is held in place until it is absorbed. Building a reactor that is powerdriven is quiet easy and will have 90-100% saturation to the tank water reasonably quick. Although they are difficult to hide in a smaller tank, and therefore some people opt to use the diffusers that are laddered, airstone or like the style you posted.

I use the C02 to adjust my ph level in the tank. Our city water comes at a 7.2-8.0 ph, so therefore I prefer the powerdrive system because I get more C02 into the water quicker.

I have used several other types of diffusers from airstones to ladder systems. All the feed to contact systems work but not very effiecently. The powerhead drive system I have seen in several other aquarists systems and all are extremely effective.

I will post a photo for you as soon as I go take a picture. Done

Garhan

post-36-1121915093

Edited by Garhan

Yeaulman, I fully agree with Garhan about the shown diffuser, vs. power units. You also mentioned earlier that you already have an in-line reactor. In my opinion, it should be more efficient than the above diffuser.

Have you checked if there are any bubbles of undissolved CO2 coming out of it, and if the production of the CO2 is adequate. I think I read somewhere that it should be @ about 1 bbl/sec (if you have a bubble counter)?