Whatsis?

Tanker

Well, I checked out the linkin the 'Pleco Crazy' thread... and couldn't get a definit match to the little beastie I picked up last week... Anyone have an idea?

The dots down the side are almost like little bumps... perfectly linear and a really distinct feature...

He/She/It is about 1.5 inches long, total length. Just trying to get an idea for how big it will get, and what I am supposed to do with it. It's rather active, even in the day time, and very fast (compared to the BNs I have of a similar size).

Thanks in advance, of wise ones (and the rest of you, too :rolleyes: )

pleco_id1.jpg

pleco_id2.jpg

Tanker, it looks very similar to mine. I believe mine to be a Sailfin Pleco (Glyptoperichthys gibbiceps)

Here's a couple of shots, first one is at around 2 1/2" about 1 yr ago, second is a couple of months back, at around 4 1/2" ( not including tailfin)

The markings and color change depending on the light condition ( first pic was taken using flash, second is tank lighting.)

pleco9yy.th.jpg

pleco65jj.th.jpg

andyg: mine only has 8 dorsal rays, your's is close in markings, but has way more rays. I was super excited until I caught that little tidbit... thanks for the near miss! lol

After a couple more hours of searching and digging.. I think I found it... sortof.

"Hypostomus sp.(8)" is how planetcatfish.com describes it... but comparing the picture they have to mine, it's as close as I think could be found.

Hypostomus sp.(8)

Which basically leaves me at a brick wall... no idea how big it's going to get, what it's REALLY called, etc... poo!

But it IS kinda cool having something that might be 'rare'...

Edited by Tanker

Whatever it was.. it really 'was' now.

No sign of sickness, no nipped fins (he was in with two dwarf puffers), tummy was a little on the shy side, but he was never a big eater. Just never really settled in, I suppose.

Back to the store tomorrow to see if they have any more hiding in a corner... lol