Taking The Plunge

jackel38

So i just started up a saltwater tank first one super excited. so im using a 55 gallon tank 30X18X22 to start with ive read that larger tanks are easier to maintain once fully cycled, using aqueon 90 gallon hob filter swc mini hot protien skimmer, and so far 50 lbs of live sand, ive got my salt water reading good on my hydrometer at 1.026 and a temp of 80 degrees, im going to beadding my live rock today or tomorrow but ive read that adding to much at once can hurt your live rock and turn it into dead base rock im wondering what is the right amount of live rock to be adding at one time i was going to do 20-25 lbs to day and the rest in a week or so ne feed back would be greatly appreciated or if it seems like ive done ne thing wrong so far . have not tested all the nitrates and stuff yet because only set up for 3 days but was filled with prime treated water.

thx Adam

Adam, it depends where you're getting your LR from, whether you want to add it all at once or in parts.

If you're getting it shipped in, I could see experiencing a dye-off. If you're getting it from a store, I'm not sure how 'live' it would be, so again you may want to add it parts at a time. If you're getting it from somebody's tank that is currently running, then go for the whole shebang at once.