Moving Fish Help

StickS

Well, I'm in the process of moving to Hinton from Vancouver and my fish tank is the next step coming up and I've never moved fish without them in a tank longer than 2-3 hours. I have 2 oscars 11" each, 5 bichirs 12-15" and 3 geos 6". My plan is to put the bichirs in a rubbermaid, but I'm not sure whether or not I would be better off with 5 gal buckets or something a little bit bigger for the others. I don't think they really need much more space than that because I don't think they'll do much swimming in the move, but I'm not sure if the smaller amount of water will matter.

I'll be putting heaters in each container with an air pump set up to keep the water heated/oxygenated for the ride. They'll be kept inside the truck too. I'm setting up bigger totes full of water with a filter running before I leave back for when I get here to put the fish in because I'm sure I won't want to set up the tank after the drive.

My questions are: is there anything I can add to the water to reduce the stress on the fish in the move? I've read about bag buddies in another topic but I'm not familiar with them and have never seen them. And does my plan for the move seem like it will work alright or are there any suggestions?

Also, does anyone know what sort of tap water conditions are in Hinton? Anything I need to treat before adding fish?

Thanks in advance and look forward to meeting everyone

That is one long drive and fairly big fish too.

If each container has a heater and an air pump they should be fine (I would put a small aquaclear sponge in your tank until you leave, and then put the airstone in it - like a mini sponge filter). I would consider adding a 1/2 dose of prime before and after the trip to help with the water quality.

I would consider getting (or picking up) a kids wading pool to put them into once you arrive, using the water they are in and slowly topping it up with local, prime-treated, water. At least to give them some room until you can get their tank up. Then it would be just like acclimating them to a new tank.

I would make sure each moving container has a well sealed lid as a lot of water can slop out on longer drives.

If Hinton's water is like most Alberta town water, ph would be between 7.2-7.6. Fairly hard depending on how they treat it. They usually just use chlorine, but I treat with prime to nail some of the metals in the water.

Best of luck to you and your fish during the move - hope it isn't too stressful!

Edited by Crystal

I'm from there. I've been travelling back for the summers and I usually haul all my fish back and forth. (not big fish though... just lots) The drive isn't near as far as yours though.

I've only ever added dechlorinator and had no problems with the water.

You seem to have a good plan. As Crystal said dont be too generous with the water level.

All I have to add is don't let the truck get too cold as it is winter and it'll be freezing out. (even with the heaters)

I head out there quite often so if you ever need something from this way (Edmonton) I would be happy to help. Good luck!

Sponge filters sound like a good idea. I'm sure I have a few somewhere I can lying around.

I know all too well about sealing lids. When I got my bichirs my seat got a tad bit stained in the process. But it's the price you pay. I'm pretty confident the move should be alright, the oscars got moody when I left and didn't eat for 5 days I was told. They're all pretty hardy fish too which is nice, came home to one bichir dry on the ground with hair all over, took 2 days of floating up top but he came around just fine. Invested in a better top soon after.

I'll probably need something from Edmonton sometime so I'll keep you in mind Sierra.

Thanks again for the tips