What Are The Top Products For Salt Water Aquarium

pijwee

Hello!

We are looking at setting up a 33-40 gallon Salt Water Aquarium. This will be our first and we are wondering what would be some of the top filtration systems, lighting and pumps ect....

If you would be able to give some recommendations that would be great!

Thank you

Hi!

More information on your potential system is needed in order to properly assist you!

Is this going to be:

FO? (Fish Only)

FOWLR? (Fish Only With Live Rock)

Reef? (Softies, LPS, SPS)

Will the system have a sump, etc

The hardware you require is dependant upon the type of livestock you will be keeping in the tank. Itll be easier to help you once we know what you are planning to keep!

Oh wow , sorry about that. I know this takes a lot of work and I am really excited about it, but I do not even know where to start first.

I guess I should do some more research on which way we want to go. FOWLR for sure, hopefully some reef too. If they can all be put into the same aquarium. As for the type of system, I will have to get back to you on that one. We have not found a tank yet either :cry:

Thank you!

Hello!

We are looking at setting up a 33-40 gallon Salt Water Aquarium. This will be our first and we are wondering what would be some of the top filtration systems, lighting and pumps ect....

If you would be able to give some recommendations that would be great!

Thank you

I will assume that since you are asking about filtration systems, the tank isn't drilled? If the tank is not already drilled, might I suggest doing that... The sump idea is by far the best instead of messing around with filters. Also another plus to the sump idea, is that you can hide all your equipment down under!!

If you are going to use a canister filter, take out all the media except for the carbon, and fill it with live rubble. A hang on back filter, you can at-least attach a light to it, to grow your live rock, and possible fuge.

As for lights, IME I would honestly go higher end then you currently need, because as the salt bug starts to hit you, you will keep on expanding your requirements. Lights are the last thing you want to cheap out on.

As for the pumps, really depends on the water flow you want to achieve, you can go low tech, or high tech with a wave controller.

There is also the fact that you haven't touched on, and that is the skimmer, unless you are going to do weekly water changes.

Any ways, those are just some general advice I can give you, if you have any other questions, or want more details on the above statements, I would be more than happy to try and answer them.

Just remember, in this hobby, what works on one or more tanks, may not work on yours.

Jeff

Are you limited to a 33-40gal tank? If you haven't bought one already consider going a big as you can. The bigger the tank, the more stable the water conditions. Make you sure you get a non-tempered glass tank so it can be drilled. Sump filtration is the only way to go. I'm also on Canreef, same user name if you need any more help.