Looking For Advise On Setting Up A 20 Fw Gallon Tank

ectothermic

Howdy,

My youngest daughter and I have been deliberating setting up a small community tank. I am not looking into something huge at the moment, and want to make sure that she is willing to help out and take care of this one before I consider looking into something bigger. I have always been a fan of saltwater tanks, but I think that is over my head for now.

What would you guys recommend as some active fish to keep in a 20 or 30 gallon community tank ? We have looked into Zebra Danios, tetras, and some Platys too. I'd love to find a suitable match that would allow me to keep some ghost shrimp, those look pretty neat !

What I was wondering is if any of you could recommend some species to look into further that would cohabitate well, be active and not overly agressive. Hardy species would be something else that I would be looking for also.

Please let me know your thoughts !

Thanks.

Everything you've listed so far would work out. As for tetras, I'd recommend going with the smaller, torpedo-shaped species (neons, rummynose, cardinals, etc), as they tend to be a lot less aggressive. Larger ones like Bleeding Heart, Congo or Buenos Aires can be quite aggressive and will likely pick off smaller fish and shrimp.

Just to add danio's are pretty much childproof, along with guppies. My 6 year old hasn't murdered one yet. Or more than likely they reproduce fast enough that I never notice.

Edited by Jayba