Done Amazon Swords

DragonNeko

Do you think my amazon swords have enough room? http://s1091.photobu...nt=DSC08090.jpg

Their are 3 of them in there, all about 12'' tall. I've thought about trying to split them in half to make smaller plants, but I don't know if that would harm them or not. I tried to find info about splitting them but nothing solid that says it's okay or how to properly do it, and I'm not sure at what point they'll be too big for the 55g.

Edited by DragonNeko

Based on my experience with swords I would say no. I'm sure that 1 of those will fill that portion of you tank easily. If you have enough lighting and some sort of root tab they will grow to form a full hemisphere with a tonne leaves. So if you were to take the largest leaf and lay it over that's how much clearance it will take up. Underneath the soil, the roots will expand and cover the entire bottom of you tank (Its kind of cool to see if you can view the bottom of your tank).

I wouldn't worry about splitting them either because they'll start sending out runners faster than you think. Then you'll have more swords that you can shake a stick at.

These are capable of overwhelming even the biggest tanks, Yours are fairly small and will take more time to outgrow the tank. They look great right now!

It would appear that they could use some fert tabs and pehaps more light if you wanted to get them bigger: but why?

If you leave things the way they are their growth will be reduced and will keep looking as good as they do.

John

Edited by geleen