Ro - Looking To Buy And Have 3 Questions !

ckmullin

As the topic says, finally going to get into the game...it's been a long discussion to convince that aquariums are not the only household use that can benefit from RO! Anywho, I've been searching, reading and poking under rocks for information to get up to speed...finding out different makes and models, what people like and what people don't like.

My water parameters...I'm in Calgary with city tap water so I think that is all that's needed on that front.

My needs...a CRS tank for now (other additions later). I'm up to speed with knowing cannot use 100% RO...need to blend to get what parameters you want and what parameters CRS can survive and then thrive etc.

I would now like to ask AA peers three questions:

1. What are the good, bad and ugly that you've either heard about or personally experienced with different makes, models and also retailers. Inaddition, do you have any sort of feeback for http://www.maxwaterflow.com .

2. In your valued opinion what components are a must. Yes a tank and filter! :P I was more referring towards components such as having the RO water remineralized, the fancy gauges etc and specific types of filters that might be best for the home aquarium...I guess for other household uses too. lol For example does my home aquarium really need to have sweet tasting water from a coconut shell carbon filter...or are these just plain standard across the board?

3. Has anybody had experience with a group order on such a device...is so...do you think there might be enough of a demand currently at AA to make up a group buy?

( I have come across this...and looks interesting http://www.maxwaterf...ucet_p_454.html )

School me with your opinions....and thanks for the view!

ck

I bought a cheap one off ebay and have zero bad things to say. The difference between a 50 and a 100 GPD is merely the membrane. It is hooked up in the kitchen with the little tap. When it's time to fill the tanks, I push onto the tap a 1/4 100 foot long hose I bought at princess auto and run it downstairs to a drum, or right to the tank for plecos. I usually do this overnight so the family doesn't have to contend with the hose.

Don't worry about the bells and whistles, but resin do remove chlorine and chloromine. The Calgary Aquarium Society does get a deal from someone I have since forgotten. Here is a link to something that is very similar to mine.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/100-GPD-AQUASAFE-RESIDENTIAL-5-STAGE-REVERSE-OSMOSIS-WATER-FILTRATION-SYSTEM-/260885059826?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item3cbdf618f2

1. I looked on the distributors website. What I did not see, was NSF certification. Perhaps it is buried deeper than I could see. I would consider this standard to be important.
  2. They are pitching the HM 3 TDS metre . You may consider an upgrade there. I feel a metre that is to be dipped in water should be water proof. Only the HMcom100 is waterproof.
  3. No thoughts on a group buy.

I bought a cheap one off ebay and have zero bad things to say. The difference between a 50 and a 100 GPD is merely the membrane. It is hooked up in the kitchen with the little tap. When it's time to fill the tanks, I push onto the tap a 1/4 100 foot long hose I bought at princess auto and run it downstairs to a drum, or right to the tank for plecos. I usually do this overnight so the family doesn't have to contend with the hose.

Don't worry about the bells and whistles, but resin do remove chlorine and chloromine. The Calgary Aquarium Society does get a deal from someone I have since forgotten. Here is a link to something that is very similar to mine.

http://www.ebay.ca/i...=item3cbdf618f2

Thanks Jayba...looking at very similar as well. I've read that some of the RO systems need to operate in a sweet spot of water pressure something like between 45-75psi...was this true of your system and perhaps also know if this is a common thing. I believe out house water at the main in the basement is @ 90psi.

1. I looked on the distributors website. What I did not see, was NSF certification. Perhaps it is buried deeper than I could see. I would consider this standard to be important.
  2. They are pitching the HM 3 TDS metre . You may consider an upgrade there. I feel a metre that is to be dipped in water should be water proof. Only the HMcom100 is waterproof.
  3. No thoughts on a group buy.

Hello jewels, thanks for your reply.

Thanks for the tip with the TDS meter.

Was this the certification that your referring to?

I had found this in the 'Detailed Description" of that particular model's webpage.

nsf.gif

ce.jpg

NSF & CE CERTIFIED DURABLE

Tanks Model RO-122

Total Tank Volume 3.2 Gallons

Storage Capacity 2.2 Gallons only @ 60 PSI

Tank Size 11" x 14" H

Holding tank with Stainless Steel connection system

I believe the minimum allowable from the city is 60 psi, so anything above that is good. Look at a waste line regulator, it keeps a certain amount of back pressure on the system (It is dependant on the RO membrane you use) so water doesn't just blow on through. It will help with your waste water ratio.

I use mine for mayba 50 gallons every 2 weeks, so for the extra cash for the Gucci model wasn't viable. I can buy a whack of water with the hundreds I saved. Come summer time I use rain water in stead of the RO.

Currently running a 6 stage-75 GPD system from maxwaterflow.com (I dont use demineralization stage). The unit preforms very well, no issues to date (almost a year)

My system has the booster pump and operates at 95-100 psi. I added a 50 gallon plastic storage tank and plan to add a second. It came with a pressure gauge

which is very useful in telling when you need to change filters. FYI - to upgrade to 100 GPD simply change the flow restrictor you DONOT need to change the membrane.

You may also want to consider the addition of a permeate pump to improve the units efficiency. I plan to add this option when I add the second storage tank to improve

the system recovery rate. I am using 100+ gallons per week with some more tanks coming online soon

I live in a rural area with very "hard" well water. Using r/o water I am breeding guppies, 3 swordtails, 4 killies, 8 cories, angels and 2 plecos. R/O is a MUST to me.

Another benefit of R/O is "no more hard water deposits" tank and equipment clean up is SO MUCH better. Good luck.

I purchased the 75 GPD system from maxwaterflow.com through a group order organized by the Calgary Aquarium Society. They gave a presentation and offered us a good deal but it was over 2 years ago. I use the system for both aquarium and home drinking water so I use all 5 filters. I use the demineralization filter for my reef tank water. I'm very pleased with the system. I have it set up in my basement where my hot water tank is and have a large rubbermaid trash bin that the demineralized water feeds into.

I purchased the 75 GPD system from maxwaterflow.com through a group order organized by the Calgary Aquarium Society. They gave a presentation and offered us a good deal but it was over 2 years ago.

I gave that presentation :) MaxWaterFlow was kind enough to donate a system to the CAS that was raffled off, plus a discount on the group order.

The tank isn't necessary unless you're installing the unit under the sink for drinking water. It only holds about 4 gallons, but is under pressure so you can fill your glass quickly (RO water is produced at a trickle). If you need more water at one time, just get a large bucket/barrel and let the unit run overnight.

The DI filter will give you purer water. Depending on your source water parameters, the RO membrane alone will remove about 85-90% of stuff. With the DI filter added, you'll get closer to 98-99%. Not a big deal for most fresh water applications; reefers usually insist on DI.

The gauges, etc. are just bell and whistles. A TDS meter is good to have to indicate when the membrane and/or DI resin is due for a change. Mine last a lot longer than the recommended 6-8 months.

I'm due for some more filters if there's a group order in the works. Some of the stuff already includes free shipping, though.

Thanks all for your responses.

http://www.maxwaterf...ucet_p_578.html

Had just ordered this and a couple other things to complete my package. Cannot wait to get this home and install. At the moment, my son and I are fixing up the plumbing in the basement! :D

Edited by ckmullin