Female Tank Yet Again

SuperGuppyGirl

So was wandering by my female guppy tank and yet again saw what I thought was a dead female she was alive and doing head stands and looking very round and not 6 inches away was the algae eater and it was round bellied and in plain view which is odd as it usually only comes out at night so popped them into my quarantine tank bumped the heat up and added a lil salt and started trying to see if they had any other symptoms when i noticed on the algae eater a tiny lil thorn by his anus (can't tell on the guppy girl if it has it as well) any ideas what this is? The female guppy has died and her anus was distended and the algae eater is still alive but not moving and his is distended as well and still has that thorn like object. I only have fake plants and all my decor is intact so has to be a parasite but can't seem to find it on the net

Edited by SuperGuppyGirl

Called the guys at Aquarium central and talked with Warren and he diagnosed it as camallanus worms, freaking wonderful, and that was what was probably killing my guppies earlier as well, so just a warning the Sarah North from Sherwood Park is where i got it from, and when i phoned she said she lost most her fish from that tank due to mystreious deaths but couldn't possibly have that as she reguarly doses with melafix, so off to find some levamisole or some tetramisole...

I wouldn't really say it is that ladies fault. Guppies are very well known for this parasite. Everything I have has spent a day in a QT tank with some levamisol. I have a ton on hand, I could chuck some in the mail if need be. If it is in one tank, it's in all your tanks......

Melafix, really......Melafix has it's uses, but this ain't one of them, it does jack with parasites of this nature, camallanus can drive people out of the hobby, sorry.

Edited by Jayba

http://www.petfish.net/kb/entry/154/

Sounds like another cure works as well...at the bottom of the main post a medication name is told. Panacur

"Through trial and error, he found a wormer that works.

This wormer is Fenbendazole.

So, he contacted an aquatic biologist friend, and they worked out a dosage.

Dissolve 3CC of powdered Fenbendazole in 100ml of water.

Mix well, then add as many bloodworms as you need to feed your fish. Soak for 30 mins to 1 hour, then dump the entire container in the tank, water and all.

So, for 14.35 in cost, I picked up my Fenbendazole in powder/crushed form.

The brand name it goes under is Panacur."

Edited by ckmullin

I'll survive lol worst is have not gotten anymore guppies since i bought from this lady and just picked up a new pleco and a dwarf cichlid and they're in my boys tank but considering i only have 2 nets and haven't always been as diligent with vinegar washes, i probably have infected my whole system. I will beat this cause no worm is kicking my a$$ lol

I have the same guppy problem (bought from same person) I have been scalding my nets and such so no cross contamination. I'm wondering how these little buggers aren't being caught by my UV strilizer as this is what it's supposed to kill. Any suggestions?

A bit more info...I have guppies...so I guess better to know than not know! I've made bold and red parts which I think are important. A good proactive tip, actively remove worms which are found on the substrate rather than having the view of the meds will kill ALL of the worms.

Medications

There are numerous medication options for treating Camallanus worms in aquarium fish including fenbendazole, levamisole, and praziquantel. These do not necessarily kill the worms, and in some cases only paralyze them, which results in them being pushed out of the gut and into the aquarium (which the aquarist will see when the pink or white worms emerge and detach from the anus). Within 24 hours of medicating the substrate should be thoroughly cleaned to remove the worms. Normally three treatments are required, each one week apart.

Antihelminthic medications are usually toxic to snails and shrimp so these animals should be removed before use. Antihelminthic medications may be toxic to fish if used other than as described by the manufacturer, and when treating expensive or delicate fish veterinarian advice is highly recommended. Because Camallanus cotti in particular can infect other fish directly, it is best to treat all livestock simultaneously rather than to move only the obviously infected fish to a hospital aquarium.

Prevention

Quarantining new livestock and treating prophylactically with an antihelminthic medication is recommended.

Since Camallanus worms infect crustaceans, such

fish foods should generally be avoided, or at least sourced only from ponds known to contain no fish. While Daphnia don’t appear to carry these worms, if collected from ponds containing fish, any Cyclops captured with the Daphnia are quite likely to bring the parasite with them.

(i've also read that tubifex can hold the eggs...perhaps a bad batch could also be the root of this situation)

Edited by ckmullin

Sadly no. Three of us, superguppygirl, myself and another party (they were using them as feeder fish for their ivory head cichlids) bought guppies from her. All of us have come down with this problem of mystery deaths. Too much of a coincidence for it to be anything else.