New Cichlid Tank, One Fish Has A Cloudy Eye?

kevie88

Hi all, my first post here at AA.

I recently inherited a 40 gallon tank from my boss who no longer wanted to keep fish. The tank was in great shape so I decided to start up a cichlid tank. I used some established gravel and a Biowheel filter from my established tank. After getting the tank up and running for a day or so, I went to Petland and got some cichlids from a "bulk tank". I'm unsure of species, but there are four different ones, and they don't seem to be aggressive toward each other.

Fast forward a day later and I noticed today one of them has a cloudy left eye.. He's swimming head down at a 30 degree angle and just randomly bumping into things. Not sure if it's eating or not, but I'd say probably not. Any ideas what this could be? should I just bag him back up and take him back? The other 3 fish are doing great and seem happy.

A cloudy eye could be eye damage from a net or possible poor water quality. What is your ammonia at?

He bumps into things because he can't see, or he rang his bell possibly hard. Test your water, then water change and see if it gets better in 24 hours would be my suggestion

Hi all, my first post here at AA.

I recently inherited a 40 gallon tank from my boss who no longer wanted to keep fish. The tank was in great shape so I decided to start up a cichlid tank. I used some established gravel and a Biowheel filter from my established tank. After getting the tank up and running for a day or so, I went to Petland and got some cichlids from a "bulk tank". I'm unsure of species, but there are four different ones, and they don't seem to be aggressive toward each other.

Fast forward a day later and I noticed today one of them has a cloudy left eye.. He's swimming head down at a 30 degree angle and just randomly bumping into things. Not sure if it's eating or not, but I'd say probably not. Any ideas what this could be? should I just bag him back up and take him back? The other 3 fish are doing great and seem happy.

Can we see some pictures of the Cichlids? Maybe we can help identify them. :D

Also to answer your question: what are you water parameters?

Edited by jeremoose