Here is the photo update...sorta

1/2 dozen young discus are a good group to start with.

Nitrates - keep them below 10ppm. Preferably below 5 ppm....very important for their long life.

Food - good high quality protien. [ most young discus end up starving to death, or not developing their internal organs properly]. Bloodworms, spirulina, small flakes of beefheart, .

Water -

high temp .. 87 to 90 F. Yes I said 87 to 90F.

They need the warm water to develop!

KH - soft, I reccomend under 100ppm . Preferred is 45 ppm.

GH - soft, higher than the Kh, 100 ppm is fine.

pH - constant is best. not as important as the KH/GH.

BB - easier too keep the tank in a clean state.

Blackwater is very nice. The humic acids and tannins help keep everone healthy.

I have raised 3 month old discus with 3 month old angels ... not a problem. Both like the same water/food. Both did a '' pecking order thing ''; interesting to watch B) . but never any harm to each other.

Actually the discus ignored the angels. the angels, being smaller in size, could not harm the young discus.

The young discus learned quickly that they had to compete against the angels for the food.

Now a year later - everyone is in a tall 100 gallon unit. along with some of my older discus.

Today the angels are a year old and very large - 3" body lenght / and thick. They are still in with the discus. The angels are starting to form pairs, as are the older - 24 month olds discus.

This is the time for them to get their new homes.

Tanks are almost ready....

Michael:

Discus like WARM water - 87 to 90 F. Very important when they are young ( first year of life ), and necessary for their digestive system to develop.

For rays, the water temperature should be kept 78 to 82 degrees (F) .

[ they can '' tolerate '' warmer ..... NOTE - but not as warm as discus water !!! ].

The magic word here is :: ""tolerate"" ... rays do not do well in the higher temps.

So, the water temperature is to be considerated when mixing different spieces with discus.

Stingrays are carnivorous and will eat most other tropical fish that can fit into their mouth. Chose tankmates carefully. Clown loaches (if large enough) and Arowanas are popular tankmates for stingrays since they make quite a striking picture together. Large and peaceful fish can usually be good tankmates with freshwater stingrays.

post-23-1090752666

M. Roth:

Anytime

When it comes to discus --- never a problem.

I am dedicating the / my - next ten years to discus. [ well - that is how long they live, so what is a guy to do :D ]

My ''buddy'' is raising :

- ''RAYS'' - for breeding. >$$$<. So I have to sit on top of them B) = actually, I want some of the fry. I love those little devils :P

I tried to breed rays, back in "91... however - I was not totaly prepared... :

-''Arowans'' for breeding > $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$<.. His personal passion :wub: Birth cert.; export documents; micro chipped;

- Africans> > $$$$$< ... trouble is - he refuses to sell any of them. Can you say 2500 gal. devoted to them.

To offset / pay the expencies:

Build our own tanks:

We work day jobs.

We forgo wine, and song. :angry: [ we can't sing and we do not like wine] :wacko:

Lastest project > a 400 gallon tank; 72 x 35 x 35''. Wetted and doing fine!!! :wub: for the younger 24'' arowana's.

The support mechanical - a 200 gallon sump; a 30 inch 'BIO-TOWER'; TWO - 2000 gal per hour pumps] :P ; and two 750 gph submergabel pumps to maintain a curret :)

Next project > 1200 gallon: 144 x 36 x 36''. Glass is sittin' in the shop :blink:

For the 36'' 4 year old male arowana and hopefuly his girlfriend.

• 3 weeks later...