Cory Id Please

JORG

Got these guys a while back. They came in an unmarked bag from Peru. Any ideas ?

012-3.jpg

006-4.jpg

If anyone wants them contact Harold (fairdeal) I have 16 of em.

They look alot like C.melanistius except the spots are larger on mine and C.melanistius comes from Guyana.

Edited by JORG

Got these guys a while back. They came in an unmarked bag from Peru. Any ideas ?

Maybe Peru was an inductive guess.

nope they definitely came in one of our Peruvian shipments

Sorry for the 2 wrong answers. I have got to stop using aqua-fish.net they seem to mixed up in alot of stuff. I wish you luck these are a tough one.

No need to be sorry all help is appreciated. I just copy and paste the ideas into google and check em. I seem to have trouble navigating PlanetCatfish search function and if I post the pics there the ID help is often inconclusive for some reason.

Proper identification can be difficult unless you know the collection site, as there are times when Brazilian fish are exported out of Peru.

The way I understand it Brazilian fish are smuggled to Peru. I'm thinking smuggled fish most likely won't be tossed in as filler on an order.

Edited by JORG

Proper identification can be difficult unless you know the collection site, as there are times when Brazilian fish are exported out of Peru.

eloquently put - and more direct than my suggestion.

I'm thinking smuggled fish most likely won't be tossed in as filler on an order.

As long as the one preparing the fish for export is even aware Jorg.

A thorough inspector might raise a brow at bag bearing a named Brazilian species coming out of Peru. But label them as Peru (w/o nomenclature), and the inspector would have to positively identify them and their origin (maybe on Planet Catfish).

Speculation on my part; I know nuthing... I didn't even get up this morning. Please pass the cory catsup.

• 3 weeks later...