Corydoras Nose?

SuperGuppyGirl

Not sure if this is an emergency or not but I think my 2 bronze Corys have rubbed their top lip area raw (nose), still have at least 4 barbels, the others the peppered, golden eared and pandas are fine, can't really tell on my albinos, now the water parameters are all within safety zones, and my gravel is rounded, is it just some over vigorous digging gone owwie or sound like anything else?

i have never experienced this but i use playground sand in my cory tank

maybe change out the substrate,it seems like alot of work but it may help the problem.

but im no pro when it comes to corys so maybey wait for syno321 to jump in or someone else.

I've been told that it could be a bacteria/fungal problem that causes their barbels to rub off. A good water change, gravel vac, and a slight raise in temp may be all it needs? I changed to sand last year, and I haven't noticed a problem with barbels since, so maybe the substrate does make a big difference?

He still has all 8 of his barbels but just has a pink patch across the area of his upper lip towards his eyes doesn't seem to be bugging him, keeps digging and eating, swimming fine just have to watch and if gets worse than I'll switch to sand but really don't want to *sigh*

The cories are fine on clean, well maintained gravel though they do like to sift through sand. The issue with gravel comes in when uneaten food falls and collects in the gravel and rots. The rotting food can cause fungal and bacterial issues which can result in barbel loss if it is not vacuumed out. Once the barbels are gone, it is difficult for them to grow back, especially if the root of the barbel is very damaged. Since your corydoras still have their barbels, this is a good sign. Anytime I see something questionable on my fish, I immediately perform a 50% water change and the next day I start a daily water change regiment of 25% for 10 days or so. For me, this clears the problem better than any type of medication(although parasites can be a different issue entirely). I would personally cut back on feeding a bit and perform the daily water changes and monitor for improvement. You may also want to do a good gravel vac. Should there be no improvement, maybe you can take a picture of the cory and post on the forum for a possible diagnosis. Hope this helps and good luck :)